Sign in to follow this  
adamhanlon

Wetpixel Live: Shark Conservation and UW Image-Makers

Reacting to a recent post and multiple online and physical campaigns about an apparent overturn of the current shark fishing ban in the Maldives, Wetpixel Editor @adamhanlon tries to unravel the story behind this controversy. It now seems that the comments that provoked the campaign were taken somewhat out of context and the Maldives Majlis remains committed to the shark fishing ban and is in fact strengthening its enforcement of it.

<

As far as I understand the video, shark fishing remains prohibited, but the commercial use of bycatch will be allowed (often the "bycatch" of sharks is the main reason why long-line fishing is performed at all (e.g. long line fishing in the Atlantic ocean)).

=> I do not see the "controversy" here: As long as long-line fishing is prohibited, there is no need to allow the use of "bycatch". I believe we should stay alert - better to make the Maledivian government aware that many of us do not want shark fishing, long-line fishing and also not the use of "bycatch"...

Wolfgang

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements