Anyone here have experience shooting the R? I'm particularly interested in the performance of EF, and EFS lenses underwater.

I'm in the process of upgrading, but I'm caught in the middle of a technology crossroads, and trying to decide if I want to go with Canon SLR, or mirrorless.

Thanks. 

Go for the R series, it is the next chapter...

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, dp4610yz said:

Go for the R series, it is the next chapter...

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I can see the temptation, but u/w so much depends on the lenses and not the bodies (as Hetland suggests in his initial post).  

Making sure you can use the lenses you need is the key part, I'd suggest. The camera bodies are almost becoming the cheap bit of the package and the one that is changed more often (and the housing to go with it!).

Not being a Canon user (sorry!) I don't know whether the R body can use the older lenses that folks are used to with the EF mounts. For example the Nikon Z needs an adaptor to use the classic u/w lenses like the 60mm and 105mm. There is currently no Z-mount equivalent.

So before deciding on the Canon R, are the lenses you want available, can they be used on the R and, maybe even more important, what are they like u/w? Especially the wide-angle which are notoriously tricky to house effectively.

The newest technology is not necessarily the best underwater. (even though that's what lots of us want)

Just some thoughts.

It is a wide open question, I would suggest it depends on what you are upgrading from and what you are keenest on shooting - wide angle or macro?  Do you have existing lenses?  Do you currently shoot full frame?   I would be a lot less concerned about shooting a fisheye on the Canon adapter compared to a macro lens.  They do have a new macro lens in the RF series just announced but not yet available that looks very good on paper.

Add to the mix that Canon's full frame DSLR offerings are quite old, the 6DII released in jun 2017 and the 5D-IV in Sep 2016, though the R does supposedly have the same sensor as the 5DIV.  Their APS-C offerings are newer with the 90D from Sep 2019, though they don't really have the equivalent to the pro level D500 from Nikon.  (I'm ignoring the 1DX III for now).

Video doesn't make much difference both the 5DIV and R crop quite a bit on video so wide angle is not really an option on video for either.

To be clear the poster ask about the EOS R, the first full frame mirrorless camera released by Canon in 2018. This is the 30.3MP camera which did not feature IBIS or many of the other more modern mirrorless features. I reviewed this camera in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue #106 for uwpmag.com. If the poster would like to read the review it is in the back issues on the top of the home page and is a free PDF download. Best results were with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye zoom using the Canon lens adapter. 

Canon has made great strides in both camera features and RF native lenses since my early 2019 review.

If the posters intension was the broader range of current Canon mirrorless cameras I would say the Canon mirrorless line has an excellent future for both lenses and camera bodies. The EOS R5 & 6 along with the new RF 100mm F/2.8L macro are some examples.    

• Thanks 1

Sponsors

Advertisements