Sign in to follow this  
wobby

SIGMA 17-70mm IS IT THE PERFECT IN-BETWEEN LENS?

Hi all,

I am looking at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM as an in-between macro/wide lens for when I want to photograph a range of subjects, both big and small. I have read a variety of reviews, mostly good, but would like to hear from photographers that regularly use this lens.

Do you like the lens, is it sharp, how close can you focus, what sort of subjects range is it perfect for? And anything else you can add.

Also some sample images, showing the range of the lens on both big and small subjects, would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Nigel

1 hour ago, wobby said:

Hi all,

I am looking at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM as an in-between macro/wide lens for when I want to photograph a range of subjects, both big and small. I have read a variety of reviews, mostly good, but would like to hear from photographers that regularly use this lens.

Do you like the lens, is it sharp, how close can you focus, what sort of subjects range is it perfect for? And anything else you can add.

Also some sample images, showing the range of the lens on both big and small subjects, would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Nigel

A lot of your questions can be answered in regular review sites, the max magnification quoted is 0.37x which fills the frame with a ~70mm subject on APS-C, minimum focus is 220mm, which together with the extended length and and 44mm flange distance (for Canon) gives a working distance of 38mm, take at least 10mm off that allowing for dome clearance and it's might be 25mm from the dome.    plugging into a dome port calculator this shows it'll focus on a subject about 70mm from the dome, give or take a little, depending on how much clearance it has to the ID of the dome.

For me I think the max field of view is a little narrow and a 24mm equivalent would be better.  I use a 12-40mm lens on m43 and this achieves similar magnification but gets out to 24mm equivalent field of view and I use it for larger fish portraits, smaller schools of fish and even big nudis.  I'll let others comment on quality of the images.

I use the nikon 16-85mm lens and i am very impressed with it. When you have just one dive on each site which most liveaboards do the 16-85mm or the sigma 17-70 are great lens. The reviews of the sigma 17-70 are very good. You can do mild wide angle to 1:2 macro and by adding a diopter onto the lens you can do 1:1 macro. I add a +4 diopter to do 1:1 macro. All the shots here are what the 16-85mm lens does. The sigma 17-70 you could do the same types of pictures.

https://reefscenics.smugmug.com/Underwater/Red-Sea/

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements