adamhanlon

Review: Retra Flash Pro and Scubalamp D-Max

Well worth the read.

The issue with the Retra's mode switch is the only (very minor) issue I have found so far - sometimes you can actually set the switch between two of the mode settings. I don't know if that's the case with the new X model.

And battery life is better with Eneloop Pros.

I'd say the Supercharger is definitely worth having if you are using a snoot. 

Agree, worth the read, tempting me to replace my Z-240s:unsure:

27 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

Agree, worth the read, tempting me to replace my Z-240s:unsure:

It's what I did a few months back, Chris. The Z-240s had been tremendous but I just love the Retras. They are really something - and there's plenty of demand for good condition Z-240s 

6 hours ago, TimG said:

It's what I did a few months back, Chris. The Z-240s had been tremendous but I just love the Retras. They are really something - and there's plenty of demand for good condition Z-240s 

Yes, I know, I also want to buy other things starting with a 45° viewfinder - 2 strobes and few accesories would set me back about $4200 AUD.

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

Yes, I know, I also want to buy other things starting with a 45° viewfinder - 2 strobes and few accesories would set me back about $4200 AUD.

Lol.... oh dear. 45-degree finders are brilliant. If you do much macro, they’re unbeatable. 

Excellent review. I'll have to steal that trick with the zipties for the Retra neoprene jackets - I have the original version and it's somewhat annoying how they slide back and forth. Shame about the D-MAX falling so short of the claimed specs; seeing as how it costs almost as much as a Retra Pro while being considerably more heavy and bulky, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to get one. If you want long battery life, Weefine WFS02/Kraken KR-S02 will shoot for days on a charge at half the price.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

Excellent review. I'll have to steal that trick with the zipties for the Retra neoprene jackets - I have the original version and it's somewhat annoying how they slide back and forth. Shame about the D-MAX falling so short of the claimed specs; seeing as how it costs almost as much as a Retra Pro while being considerably more heavy and bulky, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to get one. If you want long battery life, Weefine WFS02/Kraken KR-S02 will shoot for days on a charge at half the price.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm glad people are finding the review useful! As for that zip-tie trick: it's made it fit soooo much better! I've not had any issues with it sliding over the back since. You'll need to tighten them further and further a few times as the neoprene keeps compressing, so don't cut off the excess right away!

Edited by Hannes_taucht_ab

6 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

If you want long battery life, Weefine WFS02/Kraken KR-S02 will shoot for days on a charge at half the price.

I've not seen any reviews for that strobe. Do you speak from personal experience? How is it?

Sponsors

Advertisements