Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

Alaska, Humpback Whale Watching????

Thinking about spending time in Alaska looking for humpbacks bubble netting, not exactly a dive trip.  We know it typically takes place in June and July around the Kenai Peninsula and Fjords.  Anyone gone out with an operation up there?  We would go out multiple days.  

I did this a few years ago on a Small Ship cruise in south Alaska. The boat was called Island Spirit and takes about 25 passengers. We had great bubble net feeding shows right off the bow with 8-10 whales. I don't like cruise ships, but a small boat made for a great trip. Kayaking and hiking every day, and every night was spent in some remote and secluded bay.

Sounds nice.  Wondering with Covid what the situation is.  Was thinking more like Sardine Run, land based and go out looking.

We did land based Whale watching with a dozen whales bubble feeding some yrs ago.  It was based from Juneau.  Our boat had about a dozen people on it.  There were several boats doing this at the same bubble feeding location.  The boats varied in size from small, like ours, to larger with 50-100 people.

The bubble feeding was great and they used sonar listening.  After a few times, you learned to know the sound patterns for the whales talking and knew when the whales would breach within a few seconds of accuracy.

I have no idea the names or contacts from the trip anymore.   Also no idea how consistent the feeding is in that location.  We were only there for one day doing it.

Sure that luck plays a big role.  Just have to start sending emails

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements