Driftc

Sony Memory Recall and custom settings

Hey everyone, 

I'm working on setting up my new Sony Alpha camera's custom buttons, menus, and memory recall settings.  In a search of the forum, I couldn't locate any past topics on this subject-- if anyone knows of similar threads, please let me know!   

I'm curious what other wet pixel members here use for their custom settings.  With my initial setup I used some suggestions from Colby Brown, and also downloaded his custom setup.  With that post I also noticed that you can share these custom settings among users, which I would be more than happy to do if others are interested.  

As I've set my system up I've focused the my menu system on file management and remote shooting (menu 1), video settings (my menu 2), and photo settings (my menu 3).  

I'll detail my custom dial settings in another reply to help organize this thread.

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

For my custom key settings I have prioritized the following: ISO adjustment, white balance, eye focus select, APS-C shooting, auto iso minimum shutter settings, and finder/monitor select.  I still haven't modified the #6 button (on the first page), but as we all know, touch functions don't work for us underwater.  I also don't have anything to replace the tracking function set, but would love to hear if anyone has made that work for them underwater.

What do other settings do Sony shooters use for their camera systems? 

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

Wanting to bring this conversation to the top since I know more and more people have got their hands on the A1.  Let me know how you set up your custom buttons!

Most of my functions are similar, just assigned differently on the camera, but there's a small change that I found useful.

Topside I use the rear wheel to change the ISO, and also have the right button of the wheel set up to access the ISO menu (Rear2 button 4). Works great. But underwater, the housing (seacam) cannot control the rear wheel, and I find that accessing the ISO menu with my right hand and then using the up/down buttons is a bit cumbersome. Not a big deal, but just a bit cumbersome.

So what I did was to assign a new dial control (under setup / dial customize), My Dial 1, which, instead of Av/Tv, uses Av/ISO. Then I set up C3 to toggle between the normal operating mode (Av/Tv) and My Dial 1 (Av/ISO). This way I can just use C3 with my left hand and change the iso with the front dial (with the pinky finger of my right hand, without moving the hand from the handle), then shoot.

Thanks Johan!  I've been trying to figure out how to solve that problem myself and will try your configuration.  Would you be willing to to share you custom settings file so I could just load it up and give it a whirl?

Sponsors

Advertisements