jejton

What strobe to pair with the TG6?

Like the title says. I picked up an Olympus TG6 earlier this year and have been having fun learning to shoot with it. I have been using a cheap Chinese knockoff video light to get started but would like a proper strobe. Would like something that I wont feel the need to uograde in 1 year but under $400. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

My advise is formou to look for a second hand strobe. Inon S2000 or Inon Z240.

as there is a yip for the Retras several people is selling the z240.

Just be careful to get one that is working properly.

When buying used, particularly ocer the internet, what do you look for to determine it is working properly?

Principal thing is confidence in the seller.

If you know him and you know how he takes care of his equipment, 

if you do not know him, how he is seen in the community.

if you can test the equipment before the purchase also helps to do the proper evaluation.

but of course, easier to say than to do….

If you are talking $US in the US, you can get a new S2000 for $365, you of course need to add to that with a fibre optic cable and ball mount.  You may be able to use the tray/arm you use for your video light at least to start with.  For the TG-6 and also 1" compacts, the S-2000 is a great little strobe.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:34 PM, ChrisRoss said:

If you are talking $US in the US, you can get a new S2000 for $365, you of course need to add to that with a fibre optic cable and ball mount.  You may be able to use the tray/arm you use for your video light at least to start with.  For the TG-6 and also 1" compacts, the S-2000 is a great little strobe.

X2

I bought a TG-6 and then an S2000 and it worked great. Like Chris says, you need the optical cable and a tray, but those can be had pretty inexpensively.

The Inon S2000 is a really great strobe for small cameras, and works especially well in macro settings.

If you're going to start with Macro you can also look into the Backscatter MF1 strobe.

Hi, Dann-Oh

I am selling my backup Inon strobe, it is practically new, works fine. Here is my Wetpixel ad:

INON D2000 Strobe in excellent condition. 

Works and flashes perfectly, shiny battery contacts, never flooded. Includes fiber-optic cable and diffuser. (New it sells for $439.00 plus tax.)

$ 249- OBO + $14 shipping in US.  Rated 100% eBay buyer satisfaction.  
Paypal, 
please contact me by PM. 

_DSC1152_resize.JPG.2f75832c7c0588ad5e7604872ea78cbb.JPG

_DSC1137-1_resize.jpg.72b57671472310b78a773e34d3c316d2.jpg_DSC1143_resize.JPG.61d8b2fbf5bab65fbe90cc4868ab8e78.JPG

_DSC1135_resize.JPG.c0816db1ffb0061e4e4744947cbd9c75.JPG

Im running a TG-6 with a pair of YS-03 strobes. I know they are lower end strobes but for the price I get pretty decent photos out of them.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, jejton said:

Would like something that I wont feel the need to uograde in 1 year but under $400. Any recommendations?

IMO you'd be better off spending maybe more now on the strobes vs less now and ending up upgrading.  If you think you'll ever do WA or upgrade from the TG6 the s2000 power level strobes (20 and less with diffuser) might not be enough. 

A good used z240 might fit the bill, if later you could pick up a 2nd one if you ever go dual strobe, depends on how your UW photography interests grow.

I started with a tg4 and single ys-03 and quickly outgrew that light output level, but I mostly do WA.

Thanks. Picked up a used z240 locally. Looking for spare o-rings and silicon ? Now to experiment and have fun. Picked up a video light as well so now just need to wait for good diving weather!

I had a couple of Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes on my TG5 rig, it worked really well.

Sponsors

Advertisements