imacro

Super noob questions for my first trip with Nauticam rig

I just bought a Sony A7C kit lens Nauticam rig with 2 Inon z330 strobes, WWL-1C and CMC1 thanks to advices of a few member of this forum. This is my first rig that I’ll bring to Hawaii soon. I have some very noob questions

1) how do you pack and travel on plane with the rig? In a carry on luggage, the provided Nauticam case or some special foam protected case?

2) how do you bring it to the dive boat and keep it safe esp the strobes the whole trip?

3) how do you carry it into the water? Get into the water first and ask someone to hand it to you after?

4) do you throw the rig into the gear water bucket in between dives? I’m concerned others will throw their gears in and may damage my rig.

5) has anyone slipped and dropped their rig while they are on the water surface? Does it actually floaty enough for you to catch it?

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.  I use a backpack - Think Tank Street walker hard drive , it should fit your rig, strobes and ports/WWL.  You can also line a carry on size spinner with closed cell foam and use dividers from a camera back pack in there.  - it's OK for carry-on but I wouldn't want to check it.  You really need to be on the plane early enough to get an overhead locker.  The backpack will fit under the seat in front though.

2.  Various solutions around some people use collapsible coolers.  I have used my spinner case lined with hotel towels.

3.  yes arrange with someone to pass it to you after you get in.

4.  PLACE it in the rinse bucket and stay with it while giving it a short soak, then get it out and store it somewhere - the cooler emntioned, or failing that wrap it in damp towels so the water doesn't dry on the surface

5. Don't drop it! - only take it from crew member when you are ready and don't need to fiddle anymore.  Clip it off immediately I use a coiled lanyard and clip to my RH top D-ring - the coiled lanyards have a means to shorten the coiled cord to keep it close to your body if you need to let go for any reason.  They are generally fairly negative unless you get float arms, but even then you'll want it slightly negative.

Have a look at this post with my rig: 

the housing is close to yours in size.  This thread has lots of pics of people's rigs packed for travel.

You can get a lanyard that you can place between the strobe arms as a handle for it to be passed down to you. Makes it much easier. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, imacro said:

I just bought a Sony A7C kit lens Nauticam rig with 2 Inon z330 strobes, WWL-1C and CMC1 thanks to advices of a few member of this forum. This is my first rig that I’ll bring to Hawaii soon. I have some very noob questions

1) how do you pack and travel on plane with the rig? In a carry on luggage, the provided Nauticam case or some special foam protected case?

2) how do you bring it to the dive boat and keep it safe esp the strobes the whole trip?

3) how do you carry it into the water? Get into the water first and ask someone to hand it to you after?

4) do you throw the rig into the gear water bucket in between dives? I’m concerned others will throw their gears in and may damage my rig.

5) has anyone slipped and dropped their rig while they are on the water surface? Does it actually floaty enough for you to catch it?

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your helps.

Good advise here. I behave in a similar way (EM1II in Nauticam housing plus lot of other gear)

1) I use the staffed Nauticam cases for housing, 140 domeport and Zen 170 domeport (I use Nauticam padded case for 180 port). According to a requst I made at Nauticam and also to the experience of several posters here (now I am one of them), these cases can be put to the check-in lugagge without any problem (I use hardcase suitcase). This serves a lot of space for cabin lugagge, that is still a lot.

check-in lugagge in hardcase: housing, domeports, extensions, flash-arms, clamps, floats, chargers.

photorucksack and camera bag: camera, lenses, flatport, flashes, laptop, TCs, compass, lamp heads, akkus.

2) When diving at home the assembled rig goes in a Norchill cooler bag (my wife uses the "square grouper" bag, that could be folded for air travel, but is smaller and less well stuffed). When travelling by plane: nothing, but we are carefuld where to place the rigs on the boat and stay close all the time.

3) I instruct the helpers on the boat before how to grasp and handle over and let them handle the rig over, when I am in the water.

4) I tunk the rig in freshwater (and, when available, I use a freshwater shower) every time, but never leave the rig unattended in the tank. On a recent diving safari, for instance, I borrowed a spare Inon Z330 to a friend, who left his rig always unattended in the rinse-tank and - voila, the cap of the batterie compartment was broken, when he gave the flash back...

5) I never slipped or dropped the rig so far. In case an accident happens (even when one is very careful, things can happen), I have an insurance that will reimburse me for the lost material (costs about 250 Euro/year). When I am in the water and get the rig, the first thing is to tether it to an O-ring of my jacket via a lanyard (so I will not be forced to drop the rig when I have to helpanother diver. Like this I also can set a buoy easily at the end of the dive).

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

7 hours ago, imacro said:

How I pack it is easy.  I made a web page showing the whole teardown and packing.   See it here:

https://www.cjcphoto.net/uwcamera/

As you can see, I use a Thinktank backpack + a Thinktank waist bag + some space in a suitcase.  It will not all fit in a carry-on.

I have a 36-quart plastic foam cooler that I carry it in with a big strap.  The strap that came with the bag was too uncomfortable, and I used to wrap a towel around it.  Then I got a little smarter and just started using one of my camera straps with a suede pad.  The rig weighs over 30 pounds, and you definitely feel that cutting into your shoulder.

If I do not have a dedicated rinse tank, I keep the rig in the cooler bag between dives.  But I mostly dive where I have not only a camera rinse tank, but also no other divers.  I have at times had my own rinse tank in addition to one for other cameras - that to prevent someone tossing in a point-n-shoot and hitting the big dome port.  

Another concern is rookie divers using the rinse tank to rinse the anti-fog off their masks.  I try to stay vigilant on that near the start of a dive.

With one exception I get in the water, swim back to the boat and they hand me the rig.  The exception was a dive off Molokai where conditions were too rough to be able to swim back to the boat. The whole group (5 + guide, several groups) had to step off the boat at the same time.  I had to do that while holding the 30+ pound rig over my head, while the boat pitched and rocked.  Getting back on that boat was exhausting.

That is indeed a concern.  For what it's worth, I do put a neoprene cover over my dome port as I get out of the water.  I carry it on my arm in the water.

That would be bad for me as I know my rig is negatively-buouyant.  I let it go often during dives, and it hangs down from a tether.

I have been on a search for a lost rig once.  Guy swore it sank because he tested it at home in a bathtub.  Except it floated in salt water, a conclusion we came to after 45 minutes of grid searching the bottom while it evidentally floated away.

(I let my rig go to flush out my wetsuit when I pee in it...)

I usually dive with a resort that knows me very well and takes care of my rig on the dive boat.  I don't generally have to worry about other divers.  But other times I have been on boats with all sorts of rooking divers and photographers.  Don't hesitate to keep the rig in the cooler between dives.  And you must have that cooler!!   Besides using it to carry the rig, I use it as a rinse tank after every dive, in the shower.  The resort I usually go to doesn't have bathtubs.   And I use it for packing in my suitcase, which helps protect my macro port as I have to put that in the suitcase.   But the size of the rig also often intimidates other dives, and they tend to be a bit more careful around it when it is in the rinse tank.  And a good dive outfit will sometimes be able to give you a dedicated rinse tank if you ask for it.

Hi Imacro,

My answer are in blue :

1) how do you pack and travel on plane with the rig? In a carry on luggage, the provided Nauticam case or some special foam protected case? Housing, dome  and port extension are in pelican case (foam protected inside). But your a7c housing is small enough, it might fit in carry on luggage such as thinktank backpack streetwalker pro, or thinktank airport take off (with rolling wheel) where i pack my camera, strobes, lens, and others i.e float. arm   

2) how do you bring it to the dive boat and keep it safe esp the strobes the whole trip? a lanyard would be helpful and always tuck the strobe inward and keep the dome covered until you get in the water.

3) how do you carry it into the water? Get into the water first and ask someone to hand it to you after? unless it's a negative entry dive, it'd be better to get into the water first and ask someone to hand it to you

4) do you throw the rig into the gear water bucket in between dives? I’m concerned others will throw their gears in and may damage my rig. unless they have a separated watered bucket for cameras, it's better to keep where it's safe and a bit out of reach of other equipment and tanks ! I also keep the neoprene dome cover wet.

5) has anyone slipped and dropped their rig while they are on the water surface? Does it actually floaty enough for you to catch it? I try to always have enough float to keep the rig neutrally buoyant underwater in 10-15 meters. This way it will be just slightly positively buoyant on or near the surface just in case it slipped.

Hope this useful and have fun !

On 5/12/2021 at 2:32 AM, imacro said:

1) how do you pack and travel on plane with the rig? In a carry on luggage, the provided Nauticam case or some special foam protected case?  I pack my housing, strobes, WAL and tray/arms in my roller carryon with padding surrounding them.

2) how do you bring it to the dive boat and keep it safe esp the strobes the whole trip? I previously just carried the assembled rig to the boat via lanyard, and depending on the boat kept it in a secure spot or rinse tank.  I finally got a AOcooler for it and used that last trip and that worked great, no longer worry about mishaps in the rinse tank and easy to carry to/from boat.

3) how do you carry it into the water? Get into the water first and ask someone to hand it to you after? Pretty ubiquitously in my diving has been ask crew if they can hand it down, enter water, turn grab it, descend.  This has always worked fine.

4) do you throw the rig into the gear water bucket in between dives? I’m concerned others will throw their gears in and may damage my rig.  I would depending on how many other things were in the rinse tank.  You're pretty much correct in your assumption, gopros particularly will be tossed in the rinse tank with little concern.  Thus finally getting an AOcooler for it, no more worries.

5) has anyone slipped and dropped their rig while they are on the water surface? Does it actually floaty enough for you to catch it?  I use a lanyard that can be secured short (stowed) or released for long reach.  I unclip the lanyard at the ladder and hand up before boarding... knock on wood, so far haven't dropped it, it's close to neutral so hopefully if it did momentarily slip I could grab it.

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys, these are super useful comments. For 1) what do you guys think of the Pelican Air 1535 carry on vs other options? I was thinking to use my current Samsonite carry on with some foam but want sth i can pack quicker and more protected in case I need to check in because it overweighs

Edited by imacro

It really depends on whether you think it's likely to get weighed, the pelican is heavy on it's own at 5.3kg, which is most of your weight allowance for a lot of airlines (7 kg).   I estimate the housing, camera, flat port, WWL 2 x Z330 and batteries weigh about 6kg.  Add 2 kg for a backpack of regulation carryon size and you are at 8 kg.  If you do get weighed pull out the WWL  and put it in your pocket and you'll be about on target.  I put all my arms etc. in the checked bag.  Li Ion batteries have to be removed from checked bags as well.

The Pelican is also going to attract attention, more so than a backpack.   If you have all the gear weigh it before hand so you know what you are up for.

9 hours ago, imacro said:

Thanks guys, these are super useful comments. For 1) what do you guys think of the Pelican Air 1535 carry on vs other options? I was thinking to use my current Samsonite carry on with some foam but want sth i can pack quicker and more protected in case I need to check in because it overweighs

Hi imacro,

It's around 4kg ? which is as heavy as a thinktank airport take off. It should be ok if you don't carry much, as the carry-on luggage weight limit at 7kg normally. If i carry extra lenses, spare strobe and extra body, i normally use the thinktank streetwalker pro back pack as the bag it self only weight around 1.5 kg.

I’ll carry a back pack for my Scubapro gears so I can only get a roller carry on. I like how sturdy the Pelican looks and in case it gets checked in, i feel it would be safe compared to a think tank soft bag.

Is there any other good carry on case?

Could you share a photo of your padded carry on? What padding system did you buy?

On 5/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, imacro said:

I’ll carry a back pack for my Scubapro gears so I can only get a roller carry on. I like how sturdy the Pelican looks and in case it gets checked in, i feel it would be safe compared to a think tank soft bag.

Is there any other good carry on case?

I normally check my diving gears and the pelican 1560 (housing, dome and extension). The rest (camera, lens, strobes, charger and more) on my backpack but I made sure the weight for the carry-on does not exceed the limit so to not check them in. But you're right if your carry-on pelican gets checked in, it does look much more sturdy than the thinktank.

Posted (edited)

Hi imacro.

My answers in front of your questions...

Several topics on this question alone. Several strategies for travelling with the rig. I, myself, use a Lowepro Computertrek Plus with the housing and camera inside, 2 Inon Z240 strobes, Tokina 10-17 FE, Canon 100mm USM Macro, 180º viewfinder, flat port, mini dome, arms, clamps, focus light and dive computer.

On my wife’s carry-on goes the 8 inch dome, the handles of the housing and the float arms, her and mine regulators, her dive computer and some other bits and bolts.

Both bags weight around 14 kg…. Each…. Over weight, so quite important to keep low profile, a smile in the lips and be polite and gentle. If the bags are weighted, show them that it is photographic equipment, and prey…

When my wife is not travelling with me, the equipment that does not fit my lowepro, goes on checked baggage.

My checked baggage always goes quite bellow the limit (usually 17-18 kg) also so try to explain that the hand luggage is heavy but it is quite fragile and that it is not an attempt to take extra weight. 

If all this strategy/talk does not work, I always have with me a fisherman vest with quite big pockets to pass some equipment to the pockets and get at least the backpack under the maximum weight. After passing the control, things get back to the backpack.

To take the equipment to the boat, it depends where I am diving. When going by car, usually I use a plastic box of +- 60 cm x 40 cm x 50 cm with lid. I found it easier to use than cooler bag. That plastic box also can be used as a personnel rinse tank. I also use that box to have the equipment stored at home. So, multi purpose plastic box.

When abroad, I use the handle to transport the rig, and usually a towel from the resort to put the rig on it and cover it to protect it from the sun.

Always with the neoprene cover on the port. For the MiniDome I use a plastic box to protect it as the neoprene cover does not stay in place easily.

The key here is the handle/lanyard. It is a great tool  for transport the housing (as a handle or to take the housing at shoulder). And most important an easy and visual way to receive the housing from the boat man and to give it back in the end of the dive. You should explain to the boat man how do you want him to pass you the housing and how should he grab the housing. This is critical to avoid the housing being handled on the wrong accessories like fiber optics and cables. There are people that prefers to take the neoprene caps with them on the dive, I myself prefer to leave it on the boat, to be one less thing being hanging around on the dive. So, I prepare myself for diving, with my housing close to me (being careful to not damage it), and when ready I pick up my housing, take out the neoprene cap, and I make signal to the boat man I am ready to jump, so he can come to me, and receive the housing to be able to pass it back to me after I jump. I always ask the boat man to pass the rig to me with the port facing outwards the boat to avoid damaging the port against the boat. When passing the rig to the boat man after the dive, I always have the same awareness: to pass it to him with the port facing outwards the boat.

Besides to use the handle on the hand or on the shoulder, I use it too to clip the housing to my BCD. I clip it on a lower part of the housing handle, because that way the handle/lanyard does not get in front of the regulator, mask sand is not in the way to maneuver/positioning the strobes or in front of the different commands of the housing. (see pictures attached) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143983859917 

Never, never, never drop the housing in the rinser tank and go away. Put the housing (with the lens cover on) on the clean water and do several pushes on all the buttons, and than take the housing from the bucket and place it in a safe place covered by a towel to protect it from the sun in between dives. If you do not have clean water (not salty), avoid to have the housing getting dry. In that case drop sea water over it 15 to 15 minutes (and keep the housing protected) to avoid the salty water to dry in the housing and get salt crystals formed close to the o-rings, that might increase the risk of flood. But the best is always to have the housing rinsed in plain water.

Having the housing always clipped to you makes this risk nonexistent. The only moment I do not have the housing clipped to me is when receiving it from the boatman or at the end of the dive to pass it to the boatman. But even on these moments the risk is nonexistent, as the housing is only slightly negative or neutral. If I leave the housing, it does not sinks quickly.

IMG_3050.png

IMG_3051.png

IMG_3053.png

Edited by pbalves
forget the attachment
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pbalves said:

If all this strategy/talk does not work, I always have with me a fisherman vest with quite big pockets to pass some equipment to the pockets and get at least the backpack under the maximum weight. After passing the control, things get back to the backpack.

I will need to get one of these vests ! :)

13 hours ago, pbalves said:

Interesting question and something which, by coincidence, was a discussion on a recent dive trip.

Some thoughts:

a. It's much easier to find a system that has escaped the owner if it is NOT floating on the surface (unless it is FLAT calm). The system will be very hard to see in waves.

b. This points to the system being slightly negative as, if it is drifting gently down through the water column, the chances are that it will be much easier to see.

c. However.... diving a wall: the last thing you want is the system drifting down although slowly is ok.

d. My conclusion: very slightly negatively buoyant.

Hi imacro.

My answers in front of your questions...

Several topics on this question alone. Several strategies for travelling with the rig. I, myself, use a Lowepro Computertrek Plus with the housing and camera inside, 2 Inon Z240 strobes, Tokina 10-17 FE, Canon 100mm USM Macro, 180º viewfinder, flat port, mini dome, arms, clamps, focus light and dive computer.

On my wife’s carry-on goes the 8 inch dome, the handles of the housing and the float arms, her and mine regulators, her dive computer and some other bits and bolts.

Both bags weight around 14 kg…. Each…. Over weight, so quite important to keep low profile, a smile in the lips and be polite and gentle. If the bags are weighted, show them that it is photographic equipment, and prey…

When my wife is not travelling with me, the equipment that does not fit my lowepro, goes on checked baggage.

My checked baggage always goes quite bellow the limit (usually 17-18 kg) also so try to explain that the hand luggage is heavy but it is quite fragile and that it is not an attempt to take extra weight. 

To take the equipment to the boat, it depends where I am diving. When going by car, usually I use a plastic box of +- 60 cm x 40 cm x 50 cm with lid. I found it easier to use than cooler bag. That plastic box also can be used as a personnel rinse tank. I also use that box to have the equipment stored at home. So, multi purpose plastic box.

When abroad, I use the handle to transport the rig, and usually a towel from the resort to put the rig on it and cover it to protect it from the sun.

Always with the neoprene cover on the port. For the MiniDome I use a plastic box to protect it as the neoprene cover does not stay in place easily.

The key here is the handle/lanyard. It is a great tool  for transport the housing (as a handle or to take the housing at shoulder). And most important an easy and visual way to receive the housing from the boat man and to give it back in the end of the dive. You should explain to the boat man how do you want him to pass you the housing and how should he grab the housing. This is critical to avoid the housing being handled on the wrong accessories like fiber optics and cables. There are people that prefers to take the neoprene caps with them on the dive, I myself prefer to leave it on the boat, to be one less thing being hanging around on the dive. So, I prepare myself for diving, with my housing close to me (being careful to not damage it), and when ready I pick up my housing, take out the neoprene cap, and I make signal to the boat man I am ready to jump, so he can come to me, and receive the housing to be able to pass it back to me after I jump. I always ask the boat man to pass the rig to me with the port facing outwards the boat to avoid damaging the port against the boat. When passing the rig to the boat man after the dive, I always have the same awareness: to pass it to him with the port facing outwards the boat.

Besides to use the handle on the hand or on the shoulder, I use it too to clip the housing to my BCD. I clip it on a lower part of the housing handle, because that way the handle/lanyard does not get in front of the regulator, mask sand is not in the way to maneuver/positioning the strobes or in front of the different commands of the housing. (see pictures attached) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143983859917 

Never, never, never drop the housing in the rinser tank and go away. Put the housing (with the lens cover on) on the clean water and do several pushes on all the buttons, and than take the housing from the bucket and place it in a safe place covered by a towel to protect it from the sun in between dives. If you do not have clean water (not salty), avoid to have the housing getting dry. In that case drop sea water over it 15 to 15 minutes (and keep the housing protected) to avoid the salty water to dry in the housing and get salt crystals formed close to the o-rings, that might increase the risk of flood. But the best is always to have the housing rinsed in plain water.

Having the housing always clipped to you makes this risk nonexistent. The only moment I do not have the housing clipped to me is when receiving it from the boatman or at the end of the dive to pass it to the boatman. But even on these moments the risk is nonexistent, as the housing is only slightly negative or neutral. If I leave the housing, it does not sinks quickly.

IMG_3050.png.c147b199d316acc779e0f59f1bec4148.png

IMG_3051.png.b20f7b02550141830263f11cf3f384bf.png

IMG_3053.png.d0d18782fcbb6db9905968730906ae42.png

Love it! I did exactly that with the lanyard today. Thing went well hauling the rig to the boat and getting into the water like you guys suggested. My cooler is a bit small so I need to really squeeze the rig arms in. It’s quite annoying since I need yo readjust everytime take it in and out. What cooler do you guys use that can easy haul and get the rig in and out as well as having some zip pockets for towel and other stuffs?

Also where do you guys hold the cooler? Just right in front of your seat? I find it takes too much tome babysitting the rig in and out of the cooler.

Anyway the result of my first dive was pretty bad lol. I posted in another thread here

First WA and Macro attempt with Sony A7C Nauticam gear

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=58055&share_tid=67784&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwetpixel%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F67784-First-WA-and-Macro-attempt-with-Sony-A7C-Nauticam-gear&share_type=t&link_source=app

It's a bit difficult to say "where" to put the cooler during the trip to the dive site. It depends on the boat layout.

On some boats you can have it in front of you or even on your knee.  But on the boats I dive in, it's close to the wheel well away from the possibility of being hit by tanks or divers moving around - and it goes in and out of its bag (a CineBags Grouper) at the end of each dive.

Yes, it can be a faff babysitting it - but, sorry, welcome to underwater photography. You have a ton of really expensive, heavy and ungainly equipment which takes up a lot of space and can be quite delicate. You have to protect your investment. 

32 minutes ago, TimG said:

It's a bit difficult to say "where" to put the cooler during the trip to the dive site. It depends on the boat layout.

On some boats you can have it in front of you or even on your knee.  But on the boats I dive in, it's close to the wheel well away from the possibility of being hit by tanks or divers moving around - and it goes in and out of its bag (a CineBags Grouper) at the end of each dive.

Yes, it can be a faff babysitting it - but, sorry, welcome to underwater photography. You have a ton of really expensive, heavy and ungainly equipment which takes up a lot of space and can be quite delicate. You have to protect your investment. 

Agree, you need to watch it like a hawk to keep it away from other divers - talk to the diveguides, and find somewhere out of the way to store it between dives - somewhere that people won't dump gear on it.

Finally this week I am going to dive. As I was preparing the equipment I have been able to take some pictures from the way I transport my rig in the car and in the boat when diving locally.

I use a plastic case, that have 2 lids that allow to close it. It is good for protection from the sun, but you need to keep attention to it because other people might put other stuff on top of it, but it is not stiff enough to hold easy things on top of it.

I have places a sort of sponge on the bottom to increase the protection from bumps, specially on the boat.

The external size of it is 54 cm x 37 cm x 33 cm

IMG_3103.png

IMG_3107.png

IMG_3104.png

Plastic boxes are a good way to store your system on a boat - if there is room. Often on dive trips I’ll buy a cheap laundry basket and give it away at the end to the dive centre. 
If space is at a premium, a cool bag works well, offers some protection, if leakproof, can be a rinse tank, can be bundled up when not in use….. and can usually be carried one-handed which is an advantage when lugging loads of dive gear. 

Sponsors

Advertisements