ido

Can I do an annual service for Issota housing myself ?

Hi

I would like to buy Issota housing for Nikon Z72.

However I do not have a Local service for this brand.

Considering the Issota has a simple housing - Do you think DIY service is something to consider ?

Thanks

I service all my Subal housings without a problem, even I have fun doing it. I know that most of the manufacturers offer housing service kits including Nauticam, Aquatica and Subal, though I am not sure about Issota. 

DIY service is very important to me. Don’t want or need to be sending my housing thousands of miles for a somewhat basic exercise of service. 
ask Isotta if the supply a service kit. If not let us know as others will be interested to know. 
a vacuum valve is an important part of DIY service in my opinion. 

Thanks. I will ask Isotta about service kit.

cheers

If you can source the kits you could do it yourself - if you are reasonably mechanically minded, the buttons and o-rings and retaining clips are small fiddly parts.  Just be aware if you get it apart and can't put it back together service centres may be reluctant to help and you will end up paying more than the standard charges.  I don't know what your mechanical abilities are like - so it is always worth while suggesting that you consider your own abilities honestly.

Having said all that housings don't need a full service all  that often if they are well looked after.  The manufacturer's will supply a suggested figure of how often but that probably includes an allowance for some amount of abuse.

Hi Ido

As both Chris said, to do yourself the service to the housing is not a difficult task, if you have some mechanical dexterity. 

I have done the maintenance to my several housings on my own. There are no service for any brand in Portugal, and to have the housing serviced in any other country is quite expensive and a pain in the a** (I need to do a temporary export to grant that when I get the housing back I do not pay taxes again!)

There are some special considerations you should consider:

- buy a housing from a supplier that uses the same parts as you can find in your country (my housings for DSLR are from Aquatica, from Canada, that uses US measures, I am at Europe, where all the measures are metrics, and that is a big problem when I need any part that gets damaged when doing the service). If for any reason you get a screw lost or damaged you need to find a compatible one.

- be very careful and meticulous when disassembling to grant that you know how to assemble it again.

O-rings you can find in speciality houses, but it is easier to buy a service kit from the supplier. You can buy it when you buy the housing.

And of course your closest friend is a vacuum system!!! Even if you do not pretend to do the service on your own. It is a mind rest. 

And as said before by Chris, take a good care of your system on the daily use, and the service you will need will be almost to none, and your housing will last forever. 

Thank you very much. I definitely "reasonably mechanically minded".. So It sounds like a task that I can (hopefully..) handle. 

When you refer "vacuum system" - you mean the procedure before each dive, right ? 

Yes. Add a vacuum system to your housing.

I do not know if Issota has one, but you can get one from Vivid Housing. Miso (the guy behind Vivid Housing) is a great guy, great service.

On my Aquatica housing I have the moisture and vacuum electronics from Aquatica and a valve from Miso.

It is a peace of mind to avoid user mistakes and flood a housing with camera and lens inside. Of course it works for every dive, but also for an extra assurance after a DIY service to the housing.

https://www.vividhousings.com/leak-sentinel.php

Posted (edited)

I have taken apart my Issota D500 housing and put it together again.  Both it and Subal housings are easy to disassemble, as most of the button can be unscrewed with small screwdrivers and one's fingers. (I sold my Nauticam because it is much too difficult to self sevice it). The O rings can be purchased from the O Ring Store, but rarely need to be replaced.  The springs of the control buttons are quite stiff and I replaced most of mine with Uxcell springs, it was easy to do.  The Vivid Vacuum Leak Detector fits the Issota with a 16 x 1 mm adapter.   

All told, the Isotta housing is well designed, easy and comfortable to use and much less expensive than the Subal or Nauticam. It is a quality housing, I would buy one again. 

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Thank you all for your advice.

cheers

Sponsors

Advertisements