Jump to content
hedonist222

TG-6 & Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Lens issue

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Dann-Oh said:

Since this is a wet lens, have you tried burping the lens?  Sometimes air gets trapped between the lens and the port, you need to remove the lens underwater to get the air out.  This used to happen to me often with my Sony RX100Va.

yes but that shouldn't matter because clearing air in gap is to avoid air bubbles distorting image

air could not bring the lens hood into the photograph - but yes I did 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually air between the lens and the wetlens can lead to a wider FoV on the native camera lens and thus to vignetting. But in that case we're not speaking of bubbles but a fairly tight seal. The thread might be tight enough to prevent too much leaking at pool depth though, but I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hyp said:

Actually air between the lens and the wetlens can lead to a wider FoV on the native camera lens and thus to vignetting. But in that case we're not speaking of bubbles but a fairly tight seal. The thread might be tight enough to prevent too much leaking at pool depth though, but I'm not sure. 

Well I did burp the system thoroughly

Several times

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to be very specific, tell them you're not in UW wide angle mode (not that it makes a difference) and yes, I've burped the lens and ask specifically if it is normal to need to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting.  They say no vignetting at 24mm - but I'm not really sure what that means - the lens is a 25 - 100mm equivalent.

I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

50 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

I have the AOI UWL-04 wide lens. On my TG-6, I have to zoom in a couple clicks to keep the lens hood out of the frame. I realize this may be not relevant to your situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

I think you need to be very specific, tell them you're not in UW wide angle mode (not that it makes a difference) and yes, I've burped the lens and ask specifically if it is normal to need to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting.  They say no vignetting at 24mm - but I'm not really sure what that means - the lens is a 25 - 100mm equivalent.

I am also suspicious about the AOI branding on the lens - does it have an AOI model number on the lens?  All of the images on the Backscatter website show Backscatter branding.

thats what I did

mentioned  I am in Aperture mode and have burped the lens underwater

Yes, says AIO all over

 

On the back it says Backscatter M52 Wide Lens

I emailed them a day ago and now its 10 pm in California and they have not responded

I tried calling via skype as well but no response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can you share photos of the backside of your lens? where the Backscatter branding is?

 

I am thinking you actually have the AOI UWL 04 which is designed for a 28mm lens and that would explain the vignetting you are seeing.

 

Edited by Dann-Oh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dann-Oh said:

Can you share photos of the backside of your lens? where the Backscatter branding is?

 

I am thinking you actually have the AOI UWL 04 which is designed for a 28mm lens and that would explain the vignetting you are seeing.

 

Not really

See photo

 

xuNQQta.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  mean I appreciate your help but whatever I've said so far has been sure

 

but photo for reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just received my M52 lens today. Im running a TG-6 with the Olympus housing. I haven't taken it underwater yet but i screwed on the lens, adjusted the hood and i have zero vignetting no matter which mode i am in.

Edited by mattleach2114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mattleach2114 said:

I just received my M52 lens today. Im running a TG-6 with the Olympus housing. I haven't taken it underwater yet but i screwed on the lens, adjusted the hood and i have zero vignetting no matter which mode i am in.

Can you zoom all the way out and take a photo?

 

Show that here

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what strange customer service from back scatter...

bewildering

beating around the bush

vague responses

I feel I need to get to the bottom of this with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry just saw your reply. Here is a quick photo from this morning zoomed all the way out

P5200055.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattleach2114 said:

Sorry just saw your reply. Here is a quick photo from this morning zoomed all the way out

P5200055.JPG

do you have any of the accessories modes on?

maybe pt-01?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Had to look it up in manual but No accessory options are selected.

On a side note, if i select the accessory F2, my viewfinder shows similar to your image

Edited by mattleach2114
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

because the camera has a an option you select when you use a wide angle

basically the camera automatically zooms in to 1.4 so that the hood doesn't show up

 

this should not be the with the m52 as its designed to be used wide open as you demonstrated above

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...