thani

New Panasonic GH series cameras are coming

Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:00am ET (7:00am PT).

• Thanks 1

It's possible a GH6 with more significant upgrades might also be announced. At least some rumour sites believe that. 

21 hours ago, Davide DB said:

It seems that w will get an updated GH5. a GH5 II.

Sincerely I was expecting something more exciting.

There are leaked specs already. Let's see if they are correct.

Specs from: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/25634/panasonic-gh5-ii-last-prosumer-m43-camer

d0af74118bda9918819ffb5ccc9cfc.jpg

636ce3b2458521ca86bba42069920c.jpg

43912322cbf08af0b6153e7e654f84.jpg

Such specs are really minor enhancements and will cause a big disappointment. 

3 hours ago, hyp said:

It's possible a GH6 with more significant upgrades might also be announced. At least some rumour sites believe that. 

I hope so in the same GH5 body and buttons layout so that it fits in the exiting housings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thani said:

I hope so in the same GH5 body and buttons layout so that it fits in the exiting housings.

I hope so too.

On the net a lot of people is disappointed already. 

It seems a GH5 II

My understanding is, that the GH5mkII will be the medium tier video focused camera and a new GH6 that will also be announced (but not available straight away) will then bring the upgrades that many are looking for. For me those cameras are way too large anyway and the housings even larger. I'm still longing for a proper successor to the Panasonic GX8 in a housing that weighs less than 1.5kg, but I'm afraid it won't happen. I have no desire to go FF or even APS-C because I like the option of a portable long tele (600mm equiv) for topside and generally size and cost. 

GH5 MARK II has several interesting updates for me

1. Live composite photography

2. Electronic shutter now up to 60 seconds

3. New autofocus engine from S5 

The above are most for photos

4. 4k60p 10 bits 420 like the S1H -> this is interesting for those who like slow motion

5. RTP streaming support

Those up good for video

Now in terms of being disappointed other than better low light performance what are people expecting? I do not need more pixels I need better pixels functionally the camera is still great and with the additions 1-3 except preburst that is useful it has all I need for my photos and video. The dimensions are the same and will fit in the body excellent!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 9:46 PM, Interceptor121 said:

GH5 MARK II has several interesting updates for me

1. Live composite photography

2. Electronic shutter now up to 60 seconds

3. New autofocus engine from S5 

The above are most for photos

4. 4k60p 10 bits 420 like the S1H -> this is interesting for those who like slow motion

5. RTP streaming support

Those up good for video

Now in terms of being disappointed other than better low light performance what are people expecting? I do not need more pixels I need better pixels functionally the camera is still great and with the additions 1-3 except preburst that is useful it has all I need for my photos and video. The dimensions are the same and will fit in the body excellent!

There's also the possibility that they will upgrade the HDMI port and give RAW output to external recorder, same as GH5s & G9 is getting soon with firmware update. We'll know soon enough!

Hi,

I am like Interceptor21, my only interests are in improving the sensor dynamic range :

• more pixels, why not
  • but above all, better handling of low and high lights, more post-processing possibilities

I don't do enough video for being interested in the new video formats.

The live streaming feature might be interesting if coupled with a ROV and a wifi connection between the ROV and the camera (it works underwater on a very short distance). Or we need to have a specific device with an integrated CPL to have the wire going to the surface.

It might be less expensive to transport a compressed rtmp video stream rather than HDMI raw video, and most of the time it is enough for live streaming or remote control (using a ROV).

So I will be waiting for the GH6 and hope for a photo edition of the GH6, or game changing features.

I love the M43 format because it is less expensive, less heavy, and smaller, but if the dynamic range don't improve, I would want to go full-frame :monkey:

10 hours ago, rlamarche said:

So I will be waiting for the GH6 and hope for a photo edition of the GH6, or game changing features.

I love the M43 format because it is less expensive, less heavy, and smaller, but if the dynamic range don't improve, I would want to go full-frame :monkey:

dynamic range underwater is totally overrated. Look at the histogram of your shots and you will see many are lacking contrast and in some cases the blue channel has a gamut clip

The issue is lack of light which means noise. Smaller sensor more noise. However smaller sensor requires 1/4 of the strobe power to get the same depth of field so at the end if you have good strobes and video light your MFT cameras goes further

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the GH6's 10-bit 5.7K 60p will be 4:2:2. 5.7k is a nice resolution for cropping to 4k for reframing/stabilization.

(greater-than-4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60p is my minimum spec to tempt me to upgrade beyond my GH4, at least for macro purposes)

Edited by Nick Hope
add a bit about my min spec
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick Hope said:

I wonder if the GH6's 10-bit 5.7K 60p will be 4:2:2. 5.7k is a nice resolution for cropping to 4k for reframing/stabilization.

(greater-than-4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60p is my minimum spec to tempt me to upgrade beyond my GH4, at least for macro purposes)

Welcome back to the forum, my friend!  :clapping:

• Thanks 1

Hello again :)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nick Hope said:

When they say high speed sensor it means the ADC have to be faster

Currently the sensor in the GH5 has a max readout of 15 gbps. In order to read 120 fps this needs to go to 30 gbps or thereabout

This is their key issue. Once fast readout happens 5.7K 60 fps is possible as you only need 18 gps to read the whole thing

However if the image processing pipeline is able to process 420 or 422 depends on the rest of the hardware. 

The S1H does 5.9K@30 420 but is limited by both readout and compression and has fans to keep it cool. MFT does not run that hot but will still need to deal with a lot of compression as no doubt it will be H265

10 bit 420 H265 is hardware accelerated in both write and read and I bet there won't be 422 but this is just my guess at current state of the are and does not include any aces panasonic may have up their sleeve that they don't tell us about

If ProRes RAW is enabled you need a ninja but bandwidth required in the camera goes to low value and all becomes possible

Edited by Interceptor121
  • Like 1

The GH5s Prores raw update seems the most interesting to me. 

GH5mkII i don't see a real value for people doing mostly video to upgrade.

Gh6 I would rather wait to see the final product and then decide whether it is worth it or not.

At the moment I just ordered a Gh5s. Having a ninja V already made it a somehow easy (-er) decision.

I am very curious to see the difference between the GH5 mkI and GH5s shooting the same scene the same day initially on Panasonic all-i codec. 

Will my GH5 stop working once the GH5 II and GH6 are released?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lionfi2s said:

I am very curious to see the difference between the GH5 mkI and GH5s shooting the same scene the same day initially on Panasonic all-i codec. 

Good question.

A friend of mine produce incredibile footage with his GH5s. 

In choosing whether it's the camera or his skill, I've always thought of the second option.
In the next few months I should be shooting something with him side by side. I'll let you know...

17 minutes ago, ehanauer said:

Will my GH5 stop working once the GH5 II and GH6 are released?

This camera will self-destruct in 3,2,1... :bomb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:48 AM, Interceptor121 said:

dynamic range underwater is totally overrated. Look at the histogram of your shots and you will see many are lacking contrast and in some cases the blue channel has a gamut clip

The issue is lack of light which means noise. Smaller sensor more noise. However smaller sensor requires 1/4 of the strobe power to get the same depth of field so at the end if you have good strobes and video light your MFT cameras goes further

Indeed if you don't get close of the subjects you loose a lot of details & contrast, mostly because of the water (that we love).

Maybe I used the wrong terms (sorry for my english). I was mainly speaking about recovering details in high & low lights. I own a D800 since many years, and when I compare how I can recover details in the high lights and low lights on a photo, there is much more informations on the D800 than on the GH5 for the same conditions (above water).

Maybe it is because the raw are 14 bits on the D800 and 12 bits on the GH5, or just the amazing capabilies of Nikon D800 sensor. So I was speaking about "stops" I think.

I use 2x RETRA PRO flash for lightning and I'm very happy with the colors, no doubt.

By the way I use also my GH5 also above water because the D800 and its optics are heavier and I'm glad to bring the GH5 when I go hiking for long days. And I can see the differences when lighting conditions become hard (sunset at back, subject on the first plan, ..)

I'll check on the tests when the GH5II body will be out. The fact that the housing might be compatible  with the new GH5ii (chances are high) is already a very good news, also if I want to sell my housing or recycle in video/streaming camera.

Indeed if you don't get close of the subjects you loose a lot of details & contrast, mostly because of the water (that we love).
Maybe I used the wrong terms (sorry for my english). I was mainly speaking about recovering details in high & low lights. I own a D800 since many years, and when I compare how I can recover details in the high lights and low lights on a photo, there is much more informations on the D800 than on the GH5 for the same conditions (above water).
Maybe it is because the raw are 14 bits on the D800 and 12 bits on the GH5, or just the amazing capabilies of Nikon D800 sensor. So I was speaking about "stops" I think.
I use 2x RETRA PRO flash for lightning and I'm very happy with the colors, no doubt.
By the way I use also my GH5 also above water because the D800 and its optics are heavier and I'm glad to bring the GH5 when I go hiking for long days. And I can see the differences when lighting conditions become hard (sunset at back, subject on the first plan, ..)
I'll check on the tests when the GH5II body will be out. The fact that the housing might be compatible  with the new GH5ii (chances are high) is already a very good news, also if I want to sell my housing or recycle in video/streaming camera.

The larger sensors is more forgiving if you get the exposure wrong you can adjust more (latitude)
Because your total dr is 2 stops higher you can get the exposure 2 stops wrong
However the scene DR was limited to start with
So I understand your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, Lionfi2s said:

The GH5s Prores raw update seems the most interesting to me. 

GH5mkII i don't see a real value for people doing mostly video to upgrade.

Gh6 I would rather wait to see the final product and then decide whether it is worth it or not.

At the moment I just ordered a Gh5s. Having a ninja V already made it a somehow easy (-er) decision.

In addition to Proress raw, I wish Panasonic for GH5s can give us Blackmagic Braw ( I know it is not truly RAW format but it is so efficient and brings RAW capabilities in post production) like they have done with the higher models. I don’t wont to change to another editor and a different workflow other than Davinci Resolve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thani said:

In addition to Proress raw, I wish Panasonic for GH5s can give us Blackmagic Braw ( I know it is not truly RAW format but it is so efficient and brings RAW capabilities in post production) like they have done with the higher models. I don’t wont to change to another editor and a different workflow other than Davinci Resolve.

We are on the same boat here Thani, but it is highly unlikely.

First you would need another recorder to capture BRAW the Ninja wont do it. Then Resolve doesn't look likely to support Prores Raw in the near future.

FCPX is really an amateur software when it comes to color grading compared to Resolve and Resolve upgrades have made it a very capable all in one solution.

For the time being the only solution seems to be doing the initial adjustment on the Prores RAW file to one of the apps that support it (FCPX or Scratch) and then export a Prores 4444 file to work with in Resolve. Not the most efficient solution but does the job.

Sponsors

Advertisements