Posted (edited)

Hi.

What should I do with the magnet of the s2000? In or out? I don't really understand it...

And is it correct that the pre flash is the red eye setting on the tg4?

Thanks.

Edited by blipstream

It's basically a magnetic switch, put the magnet in and it turns off the advanced cancel circuit, leave it out and the ACC is activated.  Which one you want depends on what your camera is set for.  If you are shooting manual you want the magnet in so the strobe responds to every flash - in fact if the magnet is out it won't sync with an on camera flash that is set in manual. 

The advanced cancel circuit is INON's method of dealing with pre-flash which is claimed to help with camera battery life by convincing the camera that it is getting a lot of flash light back by emitting a stronger pre flash, then doing the calculations needed to boost the main flash in comparison to get the correct exposure. 

the TG-4 is TTL only so you can leave the magnet in or out.  If you leave it in the strobe exactly matches the duration on both the pre and main flash.  If you leave it out the ACC circuit is working and it should give you better camera battery life.

The pre flash is not red eye reduction.  TTL on digital cameras works by putting out a low power pre flash, measuring the illumination from that pre flash and calculating how much extra light is needed to get the correct exposure.  The strobe needs to be able to deal with the pre flash when deciding how to interpret the flash signals from the camera.

You need to disable red-eye reduction in the camera as that will only cause the external strobe to go off multpile times and potentially it won't have enough charge for the man flash.

2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

The pre flash is not red eye reduction.  TTL on digital cameras works by putting out a low power pre flash, measuring the illumination from that pre flash and calculating how much extra light is needed to get the correct exposure.  The strobe needs to be able to deal with the pre flash when deciding how to interpret the flash signals from the camera.

You need to disable red-eye reduction in the camera as that will only cause the external strobe to go off multpile times and potentially it won't have enough charge for the man flash.

Ok so I set th camera flash on fill in? And then I have the problem that I cant find the option for pre flash anywhere...cant find it in the manual either.

Posted (edited)

Or is the fill in flash from the tg4 with pre flash? That would mean I can't turn of the pre flash on this camera?

Edited by blipstream

the TG-4 does TTL flash only and the only way to do TTL is to use a pre flash - so the TG-4 always emits pre flash to allow it to meter the flash.  You can choose to shoot manual flash or TTL flash with the S-2000.  Reef Photo have produced a page explaining the system and how to set it,   https://reefphoto.com/blogs/lighting/selecting-the-proper-settings-for-inon-strobes-1

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

the TG-4 does TTL flash only and the only way to do TTL is to use a pre flash - so the TG-4 always emits pre flash to allow it to meter the flash.  You can choose to shoot manual flash or TTL flash with the S-2000.  Reef Photo have produced a page explaining the system and how to set it,   https://reefphoto.com/blogs/lighting/selecting-the-proper-settings-for-inon-strobes-1

Thanks!

Please correct me if I am wrong. As I shoot on a ttl only camera (tg4) I leave the magnet OUT to have ACC on.

Now I have two options:

1. Strobe on s-ttl:

camera pre flash fires = pre flash on strobe

exposure is calculated

camera fires second flash, which is weaker than it usually would be because of the strong flash of the inon strobe (saves battery life right?) = second flash of the strobe is fired

But isn't the second strobe flash of the inon also weak if the second strobe flash of the camera also is weakened due to that?

2. Strobe on manual:

is this first strobe flash the strenght i choose on the inon??

camera fires second flash = second flash on inon strobe 

Which is the strenght I choose on the strobe itself?

I it normal that I cant see any pre flash on the tg4? As said, it is set to "Fill In" flash.

Sry for that many questions and thanks so much for the help!!

6 minutes ago, blipstream said:

1. Strobe on s-ttl:

exposure is calculated

camera fires second flash, which is weaker than it usually would be because of the strong flash of the inon strobe (saves battery life right?) = second flash of the strobe is fired

But isn't the second strobe flash of the inon also weak if the second strobe flash of the camera also is weakened due to that?

No, the camera doesn't 'know' anything about the strobe - it calculates the strength of the main flash pulse to properly light the scene, and the strobe replicates it to the best of its ability.

9 minutes ago, blipstream said:

2. Strobe on manual:

is this first strobe flash the strenght i choose on the inon??

camera fires second flash = second flash on inon strobe 

Which is the strenght I choose on the strobe itself? 

No, when you set the strobe on manual and enable ACC (magnet in, IIRC), then the camera pre-flash is ignored completely and the strobe fires on the main (second) flash emitted by the camera, at the strength that you set it to via the power adjustment knob.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

No, the camera doesn't 'know' anything about the strobe - it calculates the strength of the main flash pulse to properly light the scene, and the strobe replicates it to the best of its ability.

No, when you set the strobe on manual and enable ACC (magnet in, IIRC), then the camera pre-flash is ignored completely and the strobe fires on the main (second) flash emitted by the camera, at the strength that you set it to via the power adjustment knob.

Here it says leave the magnet out...more than confused about it...

http://users.ncable.net.au/~anewton/inons2000.html

Edited by blipstream

I have done tests with my Z240 and found even though the magnet is out and ACC enabled the strobe still fires twice.   So with a camera emitting two flashes each time the strobe is going to fire twice regardless no matter what mode you are in on the strobe.  The ACC saves a little battery power by using a brighter preflash on the strobe to cause the camera flash to under expose a little and save some battery power.

Leaving the magnet out will work for both STTL and Manual flash and it allows you to  switch between the two modes UW - taking out the magnet UW is a recipe to lose it.  If you want to save some battery power you can set flash exposure compensation to -2 if you like for shooting in manual on the S2000 - this saves two stops of light output.  But you need to remember to dial it back up is you switch to TTL. 

Posted (edited)

In sTTL mode (the strobe switch selected to the sTTL position) the D2000, S2000, Z240 and Z330 will automatically expect a preflash and operate correctly ONLY when the camera emits a preflash (which your TGX always does if I remember correctly) REGARDLESS of the magnetic switch (in or out) or with the Z240 and Z330 selected to either preflash or no preflash on the selector switch. In other words, to be more simple, the sTTL selection over rides the magnet switch and it does not matter whether the magnet is in or out for sTTL operation. 

Inon-Chart.png

The above chart I made for Canon S&G series cameras, since your TGX always fires a preflash and your S2000 strobe does not have the  e-Auto mode, you only have Manual and sTTL as choices. For Manual operation of the S2000 strobe with a camera that fires a preflash, remove the magnet. For Manual operation of the S2000 with a camera that does not fire a preflash or can be set not to (like a Canon S or G series), install the magnet.

Since you are operating the strobe in sTTL and your TGX always emits a preflash, I suggest you remove the magnet (but do not lose it) as it makes no difference in this set up.

Edited by Captain Fathom

Sponsors

Advertisements