blipstream

How to do manual wb correct?

Hi!

I bought a wb card for underwater video for my next holiday. Now I want to know how I do it correct to avoid experimenting too much during the dives.

So I place the card in front of the lens that it fills the entire screen. Then I do the manual wb. But what about when using strobes or video lights? Do I need to use them during the manual wb? Shooting on an Olympus tg4 with inon strobes and inon video lights.

Thanks.

This is what most successful people do while using WB. Learn to easily and quickly switch from "Auto" to your "WB" setting. Also, most people reset WB each 15+ feet or so. I'm a bit lazy so I set mine at 35+ feet and then at around 60. However, at depth I'm usually using strobes. Also, friends that use a card place red squares on the card in order to get a better setting. I use the gray steel tank of a fellow diver. Works well for me.

It's complicated!

For stills with strobes, it is best not to WB, but to either set a Kelvin setting similar to your strobes color temp, or do what most people do and use Auto WB. This is because when you are using strobes, you are typically using them as the primary illumination source, with ambient light being the secondary.

When shooting video, ambient light is your primary source of illumination (unless shooting macro) , so it makes sense to manually white balance your camera with a grey card. Typically, video lights are used to light up shadows and lift scenes, rather than to try and illuminate them. It is a balancing act and the best answer probably is to use blue filters on your lights to match the color of light at depth along with manual white balance.

Adam

6 hours ago, blipstream said:

Hi!

I bought a wb card for underwater video for my next holiday. Now I want to know how I do it correct to avoid experimenting too much during the dives.

So I place the card in front of the lens that it fills the entire screen. Then I do the manual wb. But what about when using strobes or video lights? Do I need to use them during the manual wb? Shooting on an Olympus tg4 with inon strobes and inon video lights.

Thanks.

When using video lights that are sufficiently powerful you really only cover the foreground anyway so similar to photo you work in auto or set the color temperature

• Like 1

[mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention] - The OP mentions that he is using Inon lights-which are not super powerful...

For close up and macro lens even weak lights can be effective
When they are not effective you switch them off and go ambient
Powerful wide lights increase the chance of using them more
Ambient light filters require 15000 lumens as they cut power and are not an option for small lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simple answer is use auto WB with strobes and do custom WB with video lights with the lights turned on.  Exact procedure varies from camera to camera - some are truly one-touch WB, others more complicated and they also vary with how you need to fill the screen to do the WB.  You want to have your slate in the same light that you are shooting your video with so be careful not to bring it too close to your lights compared to the subject.   You are trying to balance light that is a mixture of ambient and video light.  Downloading the manual and reading the instructions for WB or finding a good link to a YouTube video or similar resource will be necessary to get the procedure right for your camera.

If anyone is looking for some general information on the subject, I did a video on it a while back

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements