Hi guys,

Will like to ask if any one uses ttl for their strobes?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Hi

A good start! :)

I mostly use manual and have at times tried TTL but I'm not a fan

Edited by waterpixel

7 hours ago, dp4610yz said:

Hi guys,

Will like to ask if any one uses ttl for their strobes?

I do - mainly for macro where I have found it usually works really well. This is especially true if you know once the strobes fire your subject will not be seen for dust! You have one chance to get the image.

It can also be really useful to have the system set to TTL for just cruising along the reef for that occasional "grab" shot. 

TTL is not really necessary for wide-angle as, by and large, you can re-shoot if the exposure is way off or can tinker with it to make slight adjustments in post-production.

I started with that first, it got me thinking of trying new things

Since it came out, I've tried both ways. Finally settled on TTL, since I'm usually shooting stuff that I get one shot. Seahorse, maybe manual or similar critters.

I never use TTL neither in macro nor in wide angle. When I started with UW photography i found the TTL very usefull for macro shots, but right now I never use it. When you know your strobes you don't really need it and in my opinion they fail more shots than they really help. But I recognize that for those unexpected shots it can be helpfull.

In wide angle TTL is in my opinion a waste of time, it never gave me a decent shot. The strobe always get confuse for the quantity of light surrounding due to the fish eye lens.

I shoot mostly TTL. It works reliably for me.
I started off, sometime last century, using manual exposure, never had an issue with that. 
Its whatever works for you.

I shot almost exclusively TTL for 4.5 years, with a D810 using pop-up flash to trigger YS-D1's.   The last half-year or so I tried using manual more as I was anticipating going manual with a D850.  (Didn't buy a TTL trigger, used the Nauticam-supplied trigger with the D850).

I've only done about 50 dives under full manual.   I've not mastered it yet, but I seem to have it down about as good as TTL was.   TTL was somewhat unpredictable, with a tendency to overexpose a bit sometimes.  As I learn more about using the strobes, I like having the control & predictability.

For years, I used TTL exclusively - never manual.  There were already so many camera settings to be concerned about, I didn't want to have to deal with the strobe settings.  As I became more comfortable with the camera settings and as my images improved, I became more critical of the lighting from TTL.  I actually came out to Wetpixel for suggestions on improving the images, still wanting to use TTL but the majority of the responses recommended switching from TTL to manual.  I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot and it was surprisingly not that hard to learn.  It does take some practice and you do need to be aware of your strobe settings at all times, but I am so much happier with the results!!!  

BTW - I shoot with a Nauticam D850 and 2 Inon z330 strobes.

Sponsors

Advertisements