Interceptor121

Panasonic GH5M2 fits existing GH5 housing

Yesterday I did a video call with the lumix experience managed here in UK 

The camera casing is the same the only difference is that as result of the new software platform based on the S series the button labels in some cases have changed for example f2 is now Q

The LCD usable size is smaller but the display has more contrast

As result all existing GH5 housings now fit GH5, GH5s and GH5M2

Good news for all housing owners and not so good news I guess for housing manufacturers

I am getting my camera end of June and will provide some test data from a UK diving location or my bath tub!

• Thanks 2

I wish it works for gh6 too  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Good news for all housing owners and not so good news I guess for housing manufacturers

I don't think housing manufacturers are that sorry. That a camera shape doesn't change, happens once in a blue moon.

Yes very good news, thank you for the update !

Come and test it here in Marseille ! Not so far from the UK and we get some very nice dive sites :D

On 5/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, lutfu said:

I wish it works for gh6 too  :rolleyes:

YES! Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

If even the gh6 were to have the same body as the gh5 we would have to make a statue to Panasonic.

P.S.
Unconfirmed rumors speak of DPAF....

Maybe one to Saint Jude? The patron saint of lost causes...... 

Has anyone bought it and tried it underwater?

I just got back from a trip to Bonaire with the GH5M2. The battery life is extremely more improved. With the GH5 I could get 1.5 dives out of a Panasonic battery. The new GH5M2 battery gave me 2 100 minutes dives no problem. This is great for not having to pop open the housing as often. And, in Bonaire you don't want to keep extra batteries or anything in the truck for fear of theft. So, this is a great improvement. 

I did three dives on one battery. But on the third dive I did shut down the camera when not using it. I have the camera connected to a small HD monitor.

Focusing is much faster and more accurate. Using back button focus was very quick and I seldom had to make multiple attempts.

I shot all video so nothing to report on stills.  Once I review the footage and put a video together, I'll be more informed about those aspects.

Attached screengrab from the video.

bonaireturtle.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm the new battery pack is great I do a whole day of still with the flash trigger

I did encounter an issue with the housing focus lever it would not work properly once moved to manual would not go back

What's about the quality.

Is it worth the update?

What's about the quality.
Is it worth the update?
I just had a UW videography student with a brand new GH5 ii setup in Nauticam housing, and I shoot on GH5 and got to do some comparison.

First of all, and highly annoyingly, the menus are all redone. So me helping her set up her camera properly took way too long

In terms of image quality, I find them similar. You can ofc do internal 4k 50/60 10bit which is nice. But as already mentioned, improved battery life is amazing.

Will I upgrade? Nah. Not a huge upgrade. But if I was picking up a new camera I'd go with the mark ii over the original, worth the extra cash imo

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone bought it and tried it underwater?

With regards to video you can shoot all the way to ISO 5000 and still retain colour however I don’t really do that
There is a DR improvement on photos at base iso of at least 2/3 ev and the camera does better in backlit shots
The new menu system is an improvement actually and there are additional exposure tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would like to find 1700 euro on the bedside table tomorrow morning :D

Edited by Davide DB

19 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

I would like to find 1700 euro on the bedside table tomorrow morning :D

On its own there is no case. However I got rid of the Olympus OMD EM1MKII I had as the GH5M2 has a new shutter box so I can take long exposures with the electronic shutter 

I sold the GH5 for £950 including some accessories...

• Like 1

I shot a GH5 II for a few weeks in the Red Sea last month. Mostly photos, but also video. Can't say I really noticed much image quality difference over the GH5, either for photos or videos. I wasn't doing side-by-side controlled tests, to be fair, just shooting. 

Continuous autofocus for video with the 14-42 + WWL-1 was definitely a bit better, but I was mostly shooting with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye + adapter, so the autofocus wasn't really an advantage there. In the end, not keeping the GH5 II. That $1700 can be better invested elsewhere :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dreifish said:

I shot a GH5 II for a few weeks in the Red Sea last month. Mostly photos, but also video. Can't say I really noticed much image quality difference over the GH5, either for photos or videos. I wasn't doing side-by-side controlled tests, to be fair, just shooting. 

Continuous autofocus for video with the 14-42 + WWL-1 was definitely a bit better, but I was mostly shooting with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye + adapter, so the autofocus wasn't really an advantage there. In the end, not keeping the GH5 II. That $1700 can be better invested elsewhere :)

As I said as 1:1 replacement for the camera based on underwater use case not worth it. Though the new camera has much more powerful hardware and features may be added that could change this

For land use: time lapses, burst photography etc substantial improvement especially for long exposures due to the new shutter design

Sponsors

Advertisements