Jump to content
Humu797

New Olympus 8-25mm - any takers?

Recommended Posts

Put in my order as the announcement rolled out. I was seeking a versatile lens that also featured a more normal perspective plus reasonable close focusing capabilities. This replaces my Olympus 9-18, which performed well for me. Anyone else happy to see this lens in their kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting lens as it protracts out in 8mm focal length rather than 25mm.

It depends if it fits in a compact port with good quality.

Andrea

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lens looks interesting, it's a retracting zoom design that extends out in use and it changes length when zooming but not as much as the 12-40 does.  It is longest at 8mm and shortest at 18mm, lengths are 116mm at 8mm, 107mm at 19mm and 110mm at 25mm.   Magnification is reasonable at 0.21x but not as good as the 12-40 lens, it does focus very close There is a quite detailed review with test shots here: 

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/8-25mm-f4-pro-m.zuiko-digital-ed/review/

The lens is about the same length as the 12-40 and extends 28mm at 8mm so with the extending design I would expect it would need about 30mm extension over the 12-40 lens, but that would need to be cpnfirmed.  With a wide focal length of 8mm I expect you would want it in a 170/180mm port for decent corner performance.   It is 77mm OD so I expect it would need to fitted from the front of the housing, it won't fit through an N85 port opening on Nauticam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris - I suspect you’re right in regards to the lens dimensions, and likely need reasonably large dome.  I look forward to making it work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nudibranco said:

Interesting lens as it protracts out in 8mm focal length rather than 25mm.

It depends if it fits in a compact port with good quality.

Andrea

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk
 

Andrea - I’ve used the Olympus 9-18mm underwater. Similar features with collapsible storage and that lens, too, extends outward at 9mm and shortens at 18mm. 

— Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been too happy with the 9-18 because the range and focus is very limiting

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am reading here with interest. My wife and me have the Pana 7-14mm and the Zuiko 9-18mm and use it occasionally with the Zen DP-170 (N120 version). In case we would not already have the two WA lenses above, I think the 8-25mm is the lens to go as it provides the widest range, going up to 25mm (the lens may be great for e.g. shy hammerheads; I seldom use the 7-14 mm, as the corner performance at 7mm with the 170 dome is not overwhelming). I wait for the reports (Humu will test :)) and will decide then (but I am not sure since we already have two WA lenses and do not use them too often; It may well be that the 8-25mm could replace the two WAs plus the 12-40: less tele (compared to 12-40), but practically all the usable rectilinear WA)...

 

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudibranco said:

I have not been too happy with the 9-18 because the range and focus is very limiting

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk
 

Yes, not the 9-18mm is not the best lens, but it does fit into a small port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

I am reading here with interest. My wife and me have the Pana 7-14mm and the Zuiko 9-18mm and use it occasionally with the Zen DP-170 (N120 version). In case we would not already have the two WA lenses above, I think the 8-25mm is the lens to go as it provides the widest range, going up to 25mm (the lens may be great for e.g. shy hammerheads; I seldom use the 7-14 mm, as the corner performance at 7mm with the 170 dome is not overwhelming). I wait for the reports (Humu will test :)) and will decide then (but I am not sure since we already have two WA lenses and do not use them too often; It may well be that the 8-25mm could replace the two WAs plus the 12-40: less tele (compared to 12-40), but practically all the usable rectilinear WA)...

 

Wolfgang

I have used the 9-18 quite a lot, and I don't love its performance. I had the Pana 7-14, but didn't love that either. I'm intrigued by the 50mm focal length, hoping it may be a good fish portrait/smallish critter lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Humu797 said:

I have used the 9-18 quite a lot, and I don't love its performance. I had the Pana 7-14, but didn't love that either. I'm intrigued by the 50mm focal length, hoping it may be a good fish portrait/smallish critter lens.

I think the 12-40 is in fact better at that - I use it quite a bit in temperate waters around home, it gets higher magnification than the 8-25 and fills the frame with a 52mm critter which would be 45mm from the front element.  The 8-25 focuses 102mm from the front element but it is deeper inside the dome and fills the frame with a 86mm critter.  What I'd really like would be a 10-40mm with the same min focus and magnification as the 12-40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

the 4" Nauticam semi dome port used for the 9-18 and 12-50  had a nice flip over attachment option for a CMC lens or similar magnifying lens.  It would not work with the 9-18mm because of the vignetting but it was very nice with the 12-50 and quite compact.  The same port worked very well with the 60mm macro lens.

With something similar over the 180mm (or smaller  semi dome) port you could (maybe) achieve a nice combo underwater from WA to smaller critters...  Not as compact of course but better quality.  However not sure if this would be any better than the 14-42mm and WWL1.

Edited by nudibranco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 12-40 already focuses down to about 30mm from the dome and the new 8-25 will be around 50-60mm , so even if you could get a flip adapter you can only focus a tiny bit closer and the dome will get in the way of getting in that close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

What I'd really like would be a 10-40mm with the same min focus and magnification as the 12-40.

A 10-40mm would be an amazing thing! I missed having a lens wide enough for larger animals and the occasional seascape, with the ability to shoot tighter as needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nudibranco said:

the 4" Nauticam semi dome port used for the 9-18 and 12-50  had a nice flip over attachment option for a CMC lens or similar magnifying lens.  It would not work with the 9-18mm because of the vignetting but it was very nice with the 12-50 and quite compact.  The same port worked very well with the 60mm macro lens.

With something similar over the 180mm (or smaller  semi dome) port you could (maybe) achieve a nice combo underwater from WA to smaller critters...  Not as compact of course but better quality.  However not sure if this would be any better than the 14-42mm and WWL1.

I didn’t have any success with the 12-50 in the 4 inch port! The ability to focus closely underwater was poor at 12mm, in my experience, negating the benefit of a semi-dome to reacquire that wider perspective.

I have the flip diopter holder and used that with the 9-18mm and CMC-1 …. But only a portion of the image is useable … making a small sensor smaller. I would digitally 2X for framing at 18mm … 72mm 35mm equivalent. 

And, I found the WWL-1 a unwieldy beast. Not easy to maneuver but optically fine.

Ultimately, I seek that lightweight, streamlined kit that is only found in Wetpixel Heaven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really tried talking myself into this lens because of the extended range over my PL8-18 and the fact that I generally like Olympus Pro rendering over Panasonic.  Width wise, it would still fit in the 170mm dome I use on an Oly OMD housing,  but with the extended length over the 8-18 and the 12-40 I'd have to add another extension ring.  Right now, I can switch back and forth from the 12-40 and 8-18 without changing anything on the housing; really don't want to give that up.  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what Humu and other early adopters can do with what will surely be an excellent lens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...