Sign in to follow this  
Captain Fathom

Sony A6XXX series flash control with wired electrical sync

Posted (edited)

I split this topic from my other thread to prevent confusion of myself mostly. 

I have an A6400 in a Nauticam NA6400 housing, currently shooting with aging but fully functioning Inon D2000 strobes. I am looking to purchase, in due course, new Inon Z330 strobes. I would like the option of using a good old fashioned X-sync connection. I think I see the parts needed on the Reef/Nauticam websites to install the hotshoe and bulkhead connectors. Of course, the D2000 strobes are optical only, I am planning to the future for a Z330 so understand that. In other words, I want to be able to use wired, hot shoe, X-sync when I feel like a nut and revert to optical sync when I do not feel like a nut. And I do have a reasons, one for example, I want to be able to extend my dives or number of dives between battery changes and the A6400 triggering strobes with optical sync and the onboard camera strobe unit uses more battery power than would a wired Hot shoe X-sync as the camera strobe is disabled when the hot shoe is connected and/or the flash head stowed. The other, I would really like ot avoid the always on pre-flash. The A6XXX series does not have a way to cancel the pre-flash using the camera strobe as an optical trigger.

My first question is therefore, when using a hot shoe activated electrical X-sync connection, does the Sony A6XXX series cameras, specifically the A6400, still fire a pre-flash? I do not have the equipment to test this currently thus the need for an experienced answer. 

My second question, for now, if the A6400 still fires a pre-flash using a hardwired X-sync hot shoe flash, can the Inon Z330 (or Z240) strobes be configured to ignore that first flash?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Edited by Captain Fathom

One way to check if you are getting a pre flash is to use rear curtain sync, set a manual exposure of 1/2 to 1 second then the pre-flash will go off as the first curtain opens and the main flash just before the second curtain starts to close and are easily seen as two flashes.

Of course this will only work if the camera allows you to set this without one of their own strobes attached.  Worth a try to see if the camera will allow the setting and will really only allow to confirm that it does pre--flash as you don't know whether the camera respects that setting or not when connected to a non-OEM strobe.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements