GTF8

Sony A1 works perfectly in Nauticam A7SIII Housing

I recently got the Nauticam A7SIII housing to shoot video and am very happy with it, shooting with the 28mm F2 and WWL-1 that I bought on this forum from @Phil Rudin

I just tested the Sony A1 in the same housing today, thoroughly checked all buttons, dials, etc and wanted to just share to anyone who needs to know, the A1 works perfectly in A7SIII housing.

I know for the Nauticam A1 housing they sell the adaptor tray for the A7S3, but this is not required if you have the A7S3 housing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi Gary,

The NA-A7SIII is missing the Focus and Drive controls on the top left side of the housing. Many users of the A1 may not miss these controls but past A9/A9II users may miss the ability to shift focus and frame rates on the fly. The A1 housing also has the C1 & C2 control buttons on the top right of the housing rather than the A7SIII arrangement with one on top and one on the back of the housing. I also tried the Sony A7R IV body in the A1 housing and the basic controls which would allow me to shoot line up using the A1 tray. As a stills shooter I am hoping the the coming A7 IV will adapt to the A1 housing as a backup camera. 

58 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

Hi Gary,

The NA-A7SIII is missing the Focus and Drive controls on the top left side of the housing. Many users of the A1 may not miss these controls but past A9/A9II users may miss the ability to shift focus and frame rates on the fly. The A1 housing also has the C1 & C2 control buttons on the top right of the housing rather than the A7SIII arrangement with one on top and one on the back of the housing. I also tried the Sony A7R IV body in the A1 housing and the basic controls which would allow me to shoot line up using the A1 tray. As a stills shooter I am hoping the the coming A7 IV will adapt to the A1 housing as a backup camera. 

Great timing on your post Gary!  Phil maybe you can help me along in some decision making.  Pre-Pandemic I switched to Sony (A7riv and A9) from Nikon (D850) and sold my Nauticam housing and ports.  Due to the pandemic and no travel I am just now researching which camera I am going to use underwater now that travel is soon going to open up again for us Canadians.  I had initial thoughts of downsizing for underwater shooting and just going with A6600 or (after reading your review) going with the A7C, but that would mean another two bodies as I like to travel with a back up, on top of my A7riv and A9.  Also housing the A7c with the cost of those additional bodies isn't that far off just housing my A7riv in the NA-2020 housing and upgrading my A9 to an A9II as a back up.  While I like the A7riv I like to shoot birds in flight when not travelling and after shooting high speed electronic shutter with the A9 I don't want to shoot birds any other way but also like the crop-ability of having more megapixels so having an A1 makes a lot of sense, but purchasing two A1's on top of having to purchase a new housing and ports is out of the budget.  What controls aren't accessible if I was to house an A1 but keep my A7riv as my underwater back up?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  

Hello Kramer,

In the Nauticam NA-A1 housing I am able to use the same camera tray and have the following controls working. All of the controls on the rear of the housing with the exception of the C3 bottom seem to lineup. The of the controls of both side of the housing also seem to lineup. I have occasionally had issues where I turn the camera on from the housing control but then can't get the same control to turn the camera off. Most of the time the on/off works. Because the camera can be completely reprogrammed to use just about any control for any function I don't think you would have any issues with the A7R IV in the A1. housing. Be aware that I have not yet tried to uses the A7R IV in the water with the A1. The A1 is such a great camera that it is all I have been using since it arrived. Also be aware that the A1 should out preform both A9 and A9 II out of the water as well as in the water. Also be aware that if you are looking for a housing the size of the A6000 series the A7C housing is excellent.  

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, Phil Rudin said:

Hello Kramer,

In the Nauticam NA-A1 housing I am able to use the same camera tray and have the following controls working. All of the controls on the rear of the housing with the exception of the C3 bottom seem to lineup. The of the controls of both side of the housing also seem to lineup. I have occasionally had issues where I turn the camera on from the housing control but then can't get the same control to turn the camera off. Most of the time the on/off works. Because the camera can be completely reprogrammed to use just about any control for any function I don't think you would have any issues with the A7R IV in the A1. housing. Be aware that I have not yet tried to uses the A7R IV in the water with the A1. The A1 is such a great camera that it is all I have been using since it arrived. Also be aware that the A1 should out preform both A9 and A9 II out of the water as well as in the water. Also be aware that if you are looking for a housing the size of the A6000 series the A7C housing is excellent.  

Phil, sorry for the delay in replying.   Thanks so much for your input.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:39 PM, Phil Rudin said:

Hi Gary,

Any update on this now that the a7iv is out?

I have not seen the A7 IV at this time and according to BH Photo they will not ship in the US until 12-30-2021.

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements