C_R_111

External Monitor Ikelite Housing (Sony a7siii) - How?

Hello!

I am in need of some advice in terms of monitors.

I have a Sony a7siii with Ikelite housing and am very happy with it so far.

I am working on a project where the producer requested a director's monitor on the surface. We'd be shooting in depths no more than 3-5m. There are scenes in a pool and scenes in open water i.e. a lido very close to the shore (a character "falls" into the water).

Is there a way to connect the camera to an external monitor on the surface by any chance? I know that there's the function of connecting it to a phone but of course Wifi doesn't travel underwater, and there's also the distance problem.

Do I have to purchase a Nauticam housing specifically for this purpose?

Would really appreciate any advice!

1 hour ago, C_R_111 said:

Hello!

I am in need of some advice in terms of monitors.

I have a Sony a7siii with Ikelite housing and am very happy with it so far.

I am working on a project where the producer requested a director's monitor on the surface. We'd be shooting in depths no more than 3-5m. There are scenes in a pool and scenes in open water i.e. a lido very close to the shore (a character "falls" into the water).

Is there a way to connect the camera to an external monitor on the surface by any chance? I know that there's the function of connecting it to a phone but of course Wifi doesn't travel underwater, and there's also the distance problem.

Do I have to purchase a Nauticam housing specifically for this purpose?

Would really appreciate any advice!

You could try something like this:

https://www.diveandsee.com/products/underwater-cables/DNC-1120-Underwater-Full-HDMI-2.0-cable-4K-60fps-for-Live-video

You would then just need a HDMI bulkhead installed on the housing.  They could probably supply one but may need to be a custom item as Ikelite don't use metric threads on their bulkheads as far as I know.

You can use bulkhead connector DNC-2091 for your Ikelite housing with any external HDMI cables, depends from desirable length, for example 30m DNC-1066

Ikelite 200DL Underwater Housing for Sony Alpha a7S III Mirrorless Digital Camera with Dive And See cable bulkhead connector.jpg

Ikelite 200DL Underwater Housing for Sony Alpha a7S III Mirrorless Digital Camera with Dive And See HDMI cable and bulkhead connector.jpg

8 hours ago, combatalex said:

You can use bulkhead connector DNC-2091 for your Ikelite housing with any external HDMI cables, depends from desirable length, for example 30m DNC-1066

Does the ikelite housings now use M14/16 threads for their bulkheads - I thought the older housings used imperial thread for that purpose?

At least latest housing for Sony a7siii has threaded M16x1 port.

Previous housings had 1/2-20 threaded spare ports.

Sponsors

Advertisements