Sign in to follow this  
ozanners

Autofocus tracking on A7SIII or A1

Hello all

Can anyone advise wether it is possible to configure a custom button to activate autofocus tracking in the same way the touch screen allows on the Sony A7SIII or A1. Obviously once in a housing the touch functions are not available.

I had an A7SIII in my hands on Friday at the local camera shop, and could not find a menu option that allowed this function to be mapped to a custom button. Even though in online manuals there is mention of Tracking On options being available. Link: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00081258

Perhaps I’ve missed something simple. It would be unfortunate not to make use of the amazing tracking these cameras offer simply because the option isn’t available. Thinking back to my years old RX1 it allowed stop and start of tracking with a button press.

Any insight appreciated

Thanks

Tom

It looks like on the a7s3 you can come close to what you’re asking for and one would hope the a1 as well. Start by Turning off touch monitor, Set camera on manual focus, Pick a focus area other than wide, Use the multi selector button to move your focus point, finally press the AF-On button to acquire subject focus. Its a good technique if you’re in lower light conditions where focus might wander. I’m still becoming one with these cameras so I have auto focus set to wide and use a f14 - f22 aperture range and 90% of the shots are in focus. I’ll start opening up the aperture on the next dives to allow for more ambient light shooting. Might need to use this manual focus technique.

I think you could program a function button to toggle between auto and manual focus.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements