Jump to content
GTF8

4K video I shot in Moalboal, Cebu using Sony A7SIII HLG, Nauticam, WWL-1, Sardines, plane wrecks, pilot whales.

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to share and discuss with other video shooters using A7SIII.

Until this trip I have been shooting always in SLOG3, however for this last weekend I tweaked a HLG profile and shot exclusively with that.

I found it fine to use, although colours can be a bit odd to my eye.  Always keen to hear from and learn other Sony shooters settings for underwater video.

Enjoying the process.

All shot in 4K 4:2:2 10 bit, 60fps, PP10, HLG, with A7SIII, 28mm F2 inside WWL-1, using a combination of nitescuba NSV80 lights which I'm currently testing, and my existing Keldan lights.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video, I love the field of view the WWL-1 provides, especially that shot of the turtle with the diver inside the cave, well done. 

It's true that sometimes the colour seems a bit off. Did you white balance before every shot? If not, that may be the problem, and if you did, did you find it a cumbersome procedure? I've got an A7rIII and always thought the way to custom balance on Sony mirrorless to be a PITA. 

Also, how did you track the subjects? I've read and watched online that right now you can only use tracking with the touchscreen, which is impossible when using it inside a housing. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Elmelodico,

Thanks, glad you like the video!  Lot of turtles on those dive sites, makes life easier for filming them.

I do try to white balance every time with depth changes, maybe sometimes I'm a little lazy, especially if something happens quickly, rather record than do that process, so I'm sure that's the issue that its not spot on with the depths sometimes, very aware of that problem, need to be more disciplined.  I've tried different WB techniques, such as the auto where you set the lock button, so you just need something neutral and toggle the button on/off, which works fine, but takes 5-7 seconds to effect, I usually prefer to WB directly off a tank of another diver or a white slate, both work the same (grey or white), same as topside photography.  I have preprogrammed top right button to WB, and on there I just have two clicks, wb on, then custom, and press.  I notice can also save custom WB, maybe 3 of them, 5-10-15m just for quick changes, but its still not as accurate as manually for every shot of course.

With regards tracking, I always just leave the camera on wide focus AF-C for 99% of my shots, that works perfect for me.  If im shooting Macro, I use the little adjustable square and just move it to the face of the subject, and same AF-C.  Not tried the normal 'tracking' if that's activated only by touch screen as you say, would be interested to know if anyone has figured out how to use that without touchscreen?  I don't see hardly any shots out of focus with the method im using, even for super macro on night dives I have use that same method and most is super sharp, if you want to have a look at that video of A7S3 shooting macro at 120fps in night 'bonfire' diving, the link is here for my YouTube of that:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice work, love the edit & music!

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Aquatic Images said! Very nice shots and editing. What was the music btw?

Videos like this just make me want to get in the water again.. it's been way too long!

Cheers,

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt. The website I use for all my music is called ‘Artlist.io’. Annual subscription I think is around 150usd approx. Works well for me as I need music for my work video edits also so saves on buying individual tracks. Glad u like the video. Thanks again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man-o-man, that is one excellent video. I really enjoyed it and now I want to go there! 

Your work is outstanding...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing video can tell me Which tool do you use for exposure?and did you use a red filter with which lens you use for macro thank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, GTF8 said:

Just wanted to share and discuss with other video shooters using A7SIII.

Until this trip I have been shooting always in SLOG3, however for this last weekend I tweaked a HLG profile and shot exclusively with that.

I found it fine to use, although colours can be a bit odd to my eye.  Always keen to hear from and learn other Sony shooters settings for underwater video.

Enjoying the process.

All shot in 4K 4:2:2 10 bit, 60fps, PP10, HLG, with A7SIII, 28mm F2 inside WWL-1, using a combination of nitescuba NSV80 lights which I'm currently testing, and my existing Keldan lights.

What iso do you use for HLG because for every picture profile as native iso 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2021 at 11:58 AM, Eransalah said:

Amazing video can tell me Which tool do you use for exposure?and did you use a red filter with which lens you use for macro thank 

I didn't use a red filter for any of this.  I did start off with red filter when using the 16-35 lens a few months ago (other videos from Puerta Galera on my YouTube with that filter), but actually I realised that with the new white balance range on the A7S3 its not necessary (in my view), all of this is shot just making manual white balance underwater with a slate, and using lights with blue filters thereafter if needing light and it seems to grade fine, saves me losing 2 stops of light by adding a red filter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, Eransalah said:

What iso do you use for HLG because for every picture profile as native iso 

Each ISO has native ISO, that's correct, I have attached a chart that shows each one.  For the HLG3 I believe its ISO 2000 for the higher setting, which is what I used throughout this video.  Of course with SLOG3, you get clean files at ISO12,800, so it depends on how deep going, etc, for example as I am using the Sony 28mm F2 lens and WWL-1, if I want to take of the WWL-1 and shoot portraits at wide aperture (which I often do), the SLOG3 wouldn't work, as F2 there would just be far too much light coming in, so its always a choice based on what I want to film.

6063a25f20664198f737a4c0_Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 6.12.30 PM-2.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice video , sony a7s looks nice for underwater video ! 
some shots are really nice and the music is nice too, but i think you can improve a little bit your editing easily ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, karlton31 said:

Really nice video , sony a7s looks nice for underwater video ! 
some shots are really nice and the music is nice too, but i think you can improve a little bit your editing easily ;)

Thanks.  Of course we can all improve our editing, life is always a learning curve.  Always happy to share ideas and learn from others.  Do you have any work we can see for some improved ideas?  Looking forward to see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, GTF8 said:

Hi Elmelodico,

Thanks, glad you like the video!  Lot of turtles on those dive sites, makes life easier for filming them.

I do try to white balance every time with depth changes, maybe sometimes I'm a little lazy, especially if something happens quickly, rather record than do that process, so I'm sure that's the issue that its not spot on with the depths sometimes, very aware of that problem, need to be more disciplined.  I've tried different WB techniques, such as the auto where you set the lock button, so you just need something neutral and toggle the button on/off, which works fine, but takes 5-7 seconds to effect, I usually prefer to WB directly off a tank of another diver or a white slate, both work the same (grey or white), same as topside photography.  I have preprogrammed top right button to WB, and on there I just have two clicks, wb on, then custom, and press.  I notice can also save custom WB, maybe 3 of them, 5-10-15m just for quick changes, but its still not as accurate as manually for every shot of course.

With regards tracking, I always just leave the camera on wide focus AF-C for 99% of my shots, that works perfect for me.  If im shooting Macro, I use the little adjustable square and just move it to the face of the subject, and same AF-C.  Not tried the normal 'tracking' if that's activated only by touch screen as you say, would be interested to know if anyone has figured out how to use that without touchscreen?  I don't see hardly any shots out of focus with the method im using, even for super macro on night dives I have use that same method and most is super sharp, if you want to have a look at that video of A7S3 shooting macro at 120fps in night 'bonfire' diving, the link is here for my YouTube of that:

 

The white balance seems to be biased quite a lot towards the red on most of the shots. No idea if that's an issue with the sony color science or you're just white balancing for a deep depth than where you actually end up filming. Perhaps you could try dialing down the red channel in post for a bit more of a neutral look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dreifish said:

The white balance seems to be biased quite a lot towards the red on most of the shots. No idea if that's an issue with the sony color science or you're just white balancing for a deep depth than where you actually end up filming. Perhaps you could try dialing down the red channel in post for a bit more of a neutral look?

Thanks for your comment, Its more likely my choice in post production rather than any issue with the colour science, as I often see some amazing graded work shot by other people on the Sony A7SIII with this picture profile.  I tried HLG on the Moalboal video (on my YouTube channel) and this nighttime video was shot on SLOG3.  I will try dialling down the red a bit on next video, see where we are at.  I have been trying to consistently white balance shots and am careful with my grading using Color Finale Pro within FCPX with calibrated monitors etc, but can always learn more for sure!  Appreciate the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...