imacro

Lost the bolt on the Nauticam clamp shackle

I’ve really enjoyed my A7C Nauticam rig so far in Hawaii. However, Today the bolt on the clamp shackle came off or broke somehow so I lost the bolt on one side to hook to lanyard on. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement of the bolt circle in red in Haiwaii? I have emailed Nauticam and Reef Photo but haven’t heard back.

How can this bolt come off the clamp???

652b7e4e8d85d5e2621cecd78d1781c8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi iMacro

These are pretty easy to find. You can get them from Amazon - search stainless steel shackle - and chose the correct size (the gap between the "jaws") or visit a ship chandler ?WestMarine. There must be lots in Hawaii!

I've bought lots over the last few years: cheap, easy to find and, yeah, occasionally you lose one!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shackle&ref=nb_sb_noss

Go to a ship's chandler, they often stock shackles, you'll probably have to buy the whole shackle, but they are only a few $.  While you are there get a shackle key for tightening the shackle, only need a little one.

Thanks guys. Reef photo offered to send me a couple for free. Great place. I’ll see if i can get them here earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

A zip tie (or two for safety) should work wonders in the meantime.

My guess is that the "pin" that is the bottom of the shackle somehow got a little loose and over time unscrewed. If you don't plan on unscrewing it often, you could always add some Loctite on the threads and the re-assemble it.

- brett

Edited by TmxDiver

I would use the zip tie… it might be too much weight (with the friction by the movement) for the plastic.

it is better to get a metal pin. May be a paper clip with several turns.

I got a replacement for $4 in a Lowes here in Honolulu. Got some blue locktite on it too. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always tighten them with a shackle key - though you could use pliers as well.  It's just like a bolt you need enough tension to prevent it working loose.

10 hours ago, pbalves said:

I would use the zip tie… it might be too much weight (with the friction by the movement) for the plastic.

it is better to get a metal pin. May be a paper clip with several turns.

The paper clip is a super idea. I used to use zip ties but they tended to break as they had to be very small. 

I currently use Chris' suggestions - a tweak with a pair of pliers. That works!

Good point. Unless it's a stainless steel one!

Yes it'll rust but were only talking about a temporary solution I thought.  It'll last a few dives I would think to get you to the end of your trip.

Posted (edited)

@imacro,

The pins in shackles work themselves loose fairly often (if not consistently tightened or without something like loctite applied, etc.). Vibration is the primary contributor to pins, screws, etc. working themselves loose over time.

Initially I used connections to clamps like you pictured for my lanyard, but then got rid of the shackles entirely, and used stainless split rings (using the same hole that the shackle was in) to then connect my lanyard. Split rings virtually never fail, and given the amount of clamp material the split rings aren't coming off.

With my last couple of Nauticam housings I've moved away from this as well - I attach my lanyard directly to the housing through the holes in the metal plates that connect the handles to the top of the housing. I've found this to be both more secure, and easier to handle (although a little harder to hand up to a boat for someone to grab).

Edited by oneyellowtang

Sponsors

Advertisements