mackman

SMC wet lenses with +5mm distance to lens?

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm looking to pack lighter for an upcoming macro trip. Instead of bringing both the Macro Port 87 and 60 for my 105mm and 60mm lenses I want to bring the Macro Port 60 and the 35mm extension tube I already have. That means the front of the macro port will be 5mm further than the 60+30mm the recommend or 8mm more than the original 87 would have put it. I am curious how this might affect the usability of my SMC-1 and SMC-2 wet lenses. I'm guessing moving the SMC forward 5mm will reduce my working distance by 5mm. Will this be even harder to focus? Will this reduce their maximum magnification?

Thanks, Ryan

Edited by mackman

For testing purposes I assemble my setup and test focal distances in the kitchen sink.  Only the front of the port/wet lens combo need to be underwater.  Put a small object in the sink and test away.

I would test it, working distance is already pretty tight on the SMC-2.  If I'm not mistaken I believe you can test diopters in air so you should be able to measure the change in working distance and magnification relatively easily.  Measure magnification by shooting a ruler.  You should be able to make an informed decision that way.

I hopped in the pool with the kit and didn't have any problems using SMC-1 or SMC-2. So if there's an effect on the working distance it's not enough to make or break my shots. If I miss focus it's going to be one of a dozen other things I did wrong.

• Like 1

Tried this again on an actual dive and discovered that the extra 5mm of extension causes some hard vignetting when using the 105mm macro with the SMC-1. Not the end of the world for the shots I'm doing but wanted to mention it.

Sponsors

Advertisements