Sign in to follow this  
JohnRLewis

Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro and Ikelite 5508.45 manual focus port

I just placed an order for a Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, and a Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye. I will soon be purchasing housing and ports from Ikelite for my digital rebel.

I was wondering how the Ikelite 5508.45 Manual Focus port works. The lens has a fulltime manual focus overide feature. Does that mean I can use this lens in this port as an autofocus, and overide it as needed?

The information on the port up at ikelite claims that AF/MF and ratio switches can not be operated. What does that really mean?

Am I better off just buying the 5505.45 autofocus flat port?

Hi John,

Yes, you can insert the lens into the port in autofocus mode, and the built-in collar will slide onto the focus ring. You can use the focus knob on the front to over-ride the autofocus if you want. It's pretty cool.

Cheers

James

Always run this lens in AF mode.

The 100mm USM macro allows you to make manual focusing adjustments *at all times*, without having to worry about stripping gears or anything of that sort.

Ratio switches simply set a limit on the near focusing distance...you won't want to bother with these since you'll be shooting macro anyway.

Does that mean I can use this lens in this port as an autofocus, and overide it as needed?

Exactly.

Am I better off just buying the 5505.45 autofocus flat port?

No. Unless you really want to save $20-30 or something like that...

~Matt Segal

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements