Hi all,

Today I noticed that my Nauticam 180mm glass dome port has a stain all over the glass base, it looks like foggy but it’s not. I tried to wiped out but it’s not going away.

Did a test with alcohol, nothing, and with lens cleaner, nothing either, and don’t know what to do next.

Check the photo out to see what I’m talking about.

Stain is all around the glass.

Any idea on how to clean it off?

Thanks for the help!!

13721428-B019-485C-ACEF-B3B5A6E663AA.jpeg

Hey Albert, this is an on-going discussion and if you do a search, you'll find lots of posts about it. You can start with this:

The general view seems to be that it is residual water marks. You will see that various suggestions have been made to remove it from the weird to the frankly wonderful: Coke, Brasso, various car windscreen cleaning solutions - with mixed results.

Have a read and see what you think. Bottom line, if it impacts on the images (and it certainly does not always) then possibly the last solution is having the port reglassed. But various folks have had various levels of success with various products. Definitely worth a read.

T’ha ja for t’he he lo Tim, I’ll definitely dive into this to try to find a solution.

cheers buddy

1 hour ago, Albert said:

T’ha ja for t’he he lo Tim, I’ll definitely dive into this to try to find a solution.

cheers buddy

Let us know how you get on. Folks are looking for options on this issue. I've just ordered a bottle of that Mothers windscreen stuff and plan to give that a try on my macro port. 

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I had plenty of these marks on my WWL-1. I even did ordered a new WWL-1B to replace it.

When received the new, I decided to finally try the product I add ordered months ago (mothers did not work for me) https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001THF8KA/?ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00 . I did not use a drilling machine, just by hands with the provided plishing pad.

The results were fantastic. There is a debate wether we should use it or not depending on the coating. But in my case, I really had to make photos because the dome was fully covered with these clouds (it had more than 500 dives). It was still working well, but in high contrast situations I was seeing clouds on the photos.

The only advice I would give you is to always dry your dome properly after diving. Don't let it dry by itself. I think that's what damaged my WWL-1.

Edited by rlamarche
  • Like 2

Sponsors

Advertisements