Eransalah

Olympus 60mm macro or Panasonic 45mm

Hello Looking for advice I won’t to start shoot macro video like Small Nudibranch sexy shrimp and more small stuff My question is which lens should I buy Olympus 60mm or Panasonic 45mm I use Panasonic gh5 camera 

thank 

5 hours ago, Eransalah said:

Hello Looking for advice I won’t to start shoot macro video like Small Nudibranch sexy shrimp and more small stuff My question is which lens should I buy Olympus 60mm or Panasonic 45mm I use Panasonic gh5 camera 

thank 

The 45mm supports dual IS in case you had any wish to do macro handheld (not recommended)

In terms of differences mostly it is about working distance the 45mm has closer working distance than the 60mm

This also means that if you use a CMC type wet lens the 60mm will achieve more magnification but for video that will be very hard anyway

• Thanks 1

Working distance from the front element on the olympus is 90mm at 1:1 and the panasonic is 69mm, you'll lose a bit of that to the port glass and the distance from from the element to port glass, maybe about 10mm less.   The olympus is reported to AF a little better than the Panasonic by some. 

18 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

Working distance from the front element on the olympus is 90mm at 1:1 and the panasonic is 69mm, you'll lose a bit of that to the port glass and the distance from from the element to port glass, maybe about 10mm less.   The olympus is reported to AF a little better than the Panasonic by some. 

Thank friend 

5 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

The olympus is reported to AF a little better than the Panasonic by some. 

This is not my experience. When I dove both lenses in Lembeh I felt that the 45mm focussed a little bit better. I'd say that the difference is marginal in any case. 

I also felt that with the 45mm it's easier to shoot some of the larger subjects you might encounter, like frogfish. On the other hand, supermacro (e.g. shaun the sheep nudis) was much easier with the 60mm + saga+10. 

I think there is a reason to own both lenses, but as a general all around macro lens I'd pick the 45mm first.

• Thanks 1

Regarding AF I can say that I use both Pana 45mm and Zuiko 60mm macrolenses on Oly EM5II (CAF) and EM1II (PDAF). With EM5II AF is much better with 45mm compared to the 60mm. I believe this may come close to the situation with GH5 (also CAF). With EM1II (PDAF) AF is very good with both lenses...

Wolfgang

• Thanks 1

I would also add that for video a zoom lens with wet lenses is always better than a prime where all shots are fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Olympus 12-40 180mm glass dome port but I am looking for macro lens for small stuff 

9 hours ago, Eransalah said:

I have Olympus 12-40 180mm glass dome port but I am looking for macro lens for small stuff 

You should be fine the 60mm for small stuff, the limit for bigger in temperate water is something like a 150mm long subject, maybe a bit more in clear tropical waters because you need to back off too much and end up with too much water between you and your subject.   For example you'll be near 1 meter from a 200mm fish if you give it some room in the frame, fitting it across the horizontal axis.

You need a flat port with wet lenses far more versatile than a fixed macro prime

What do you recommend giving up a macro lens and go for WWL1

6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

You need a flat port with wet lenses far more versatile than a fixed macro prime

I currently own and shoot the 60mm on my GH5 and I'm considering switching over to the new Laowa 50mm f2.8. It's manual focus but have electronic connections for aperture etc and it's a 2 to 1 macro, which is my main reason for wanting to switch. Just to throw another one into the mix haha

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Eransalah said:

That's an option but the 14-42 lens with a wet macro diopter only gets to about 0.7x if I recall correctly.  That may be enough for video?  But the advantage is you can zoom through to frame your shots better.  So then you would have a high power wet diopter for macro and the WWL for wide angle.  This links to a review by Interceptor 121 on macro lens with the 14-42: 

Sponsors

Advertisements