sarthur1

Fantasea macro wet-lenses and attachment systems

Hey all

So I'm debating between 2 Macro wet lenses and I can't really understand what's the difference between them:

1. Fantasea Line UCL-09F +12.5 Super Macro Lens   -320$

2. Fantasea Line UCL-06LF +12 Macro Lens   -220$

What makes this 100$ difference and is it worth it?

Also, should I buy the Fantasea Bayonet system for the lens or the AOI M67 Flip Adapter?

My housing is Fantasea FA6500

Thanks to the helpers :)

There's appears to be very little to differentiate the lenses the difference between 12 and 12.5 diopter would be minimal, the 09F has a different optical formula and appears to be a newer model particularly as 06F is listed as back ordered on the Fantasea site.  Unless you can find someone who has used both it's hard to judge what sort of optical quality they might have.  The 09F is lighter by nearly 100 grams.  To complicate matters further you could use any of the lenses offered by INON, Nauticam etc with probably similar results is you purchase a similar power lens.

Which lens do you propose to use with the diopter?  Most of the Fantasea info is around using it with the 16-50 lens where this lens would have moderate magnification. 

As to whether the flip holder or bayonet is better that is somewhat a personal decision.  Some people like to be able to flip the lens in and out. Others prefer the bayonet.  One thing to consider is that the flip holder might be right where you want to place your strobe, depending on the configuration you are using.

5 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

Which lens do you propose to use with the diopter?  Most of the Fantasea info is around using it with the 16-50 lens where this lens would have moderate magnification. 

As to whether the flip holder or bayonet is better that is somewhat a personal decision.  Some people like to be able to flip the lens in and out. Others prefer the bayonet.  One thing to consider is that the flip holder might be right where you want to place your strobe, depending on the configuration you are using.

I'm using the 16-50 lens (kit lens).

If I'll use the bayonet system it means I'm limited only to Fantasea lenses (I think) and if I'll use the flip I'm possibly blocking a position for my strobe.

If that really is the case then I'm going with the bayonet system I guess

thank you kindly! :)

52 minutes ago, sarthur1 said:

I'm using the 16-50 lens (kit lens).

If I'll use the bayonet system it means I'm limited only to Fantasea lenses (I think) and if I'll use the flip I'm possibly blocking a position for my strobe.

All of these lenses have m67 threads and you install a bayonet mount on the port and a mating part on the lens, so you can use any bayonet system with any macro lens I believe, so you could for example use the Nauticam CMC lens with either a Fantasea or Nauticam bayonet - you just can't mix parts between them.  So if you chose Nauticam bayonet for example you would need the lens attachment the port attachment and if you choose to use one, a dock on one of your strobe arms to store the lens when not in use - to all be Nauticam items or all Fantasea items

An  exception to this rule might be the WWL-C for example which has a Nauticam bayonet and does not have an M67 thread, so that would require you to use the Nauticam system.  Following on from this example  if you saw a WWL-C as a future option, using Nauticam bayonets would make sense.

If you thought you might want a Fantasea wet wide lens in the future they have individual adapters for each type of wide lens so using a Fantasea bayonet system might make more sense.   There are other bayonet systems around as well including INON among other brands.  This link has the chart for their system:  http://www.fantasea.com/downloads/Fantasea_AOI_Bayonet_QRS.pdf   Nauticam on the other hand is all based around mounts that attach via m67 except for the big and heavy WWL items.

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

An  exception to this rule might be the WWL-C for example which has a Nauticam bayonet and does not have an M67 thread, so that would require you to use the Nauticam system

That's not quite true - you can use it on an M67 to bayonet converter, and in fact Nauticam's own solution to mounting a WWL-C on Sony APS-C cameras is via M67.

8 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

That's not quite true - you can use it on an M67 to bayonet converter, and in fact Nauticam's own solution to mounting a WWL-C on Sony APS-C cameras is via M67.

The M67 is on the port not the WWL - The WWL does not come with an M67 thread according to the info put out by Nauticam.  The point I'm making is you can only attach the WWL to a Nauticam bayonet.

3 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

The M67 is on the port not the WWL - The WWL does not come with an M67 thread according to the info put out by Nauticam.  The point I'm making is you can only attach the WWL to a Nauticam bayonet.

Right, but $95 gets you a Bayonet Mount Converter II which converts it to M67, and you have to use it even with Nauticam's own housings.

2 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

Right, but $95 gets you a Bayonet Mount Converter II which converts it to M67, and you have to use it even with Nauticam's own housings.

Correct but that is no different to any other bayonet system this is the female part and the male part is either a separate purchase to attach to m67 threads on the wet lens or in the case of the WWL is built into the lens.  The designation as a converter is a bit confusing - it's not converting a lens to m67 It's converting a port to the bayonet system. 

All Bayonet system have two parts - one attaches to the port the other to the lens and my point is the WWL is an exception and you should use the Nauticam system with it.  The bayonet systems are designed to minimise spacing between the port and lens and you would not for example use the Mount converter  to attach a different male bayonet to it mainly because you would risk increasing the spacing. 

Again, I might be missing something, but Nauticam's own Macro Port 40 comes with M67 threading, and Nauticam's own suggested solution to use WWL-C with that port is Bayonet Mount Converter II. What exactly is stopping anyone from using the same converter to mount a WWL-C on any other port with M67 threading, be it Fantasea, SeaFrogs, Ikelite or whatever?

31 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

Again, I might be missing something, but Nauticam's own Macro Port 40 comes with M67 threading, and Nauticam's own suggested solution to use WWL-C with that port is Bayonet Mount Converter II. What exactly is stopping anyone from using the same converter to mount a WWL-C on any other port with M67 threading, be it Fantasea, SeaFrogs, Ikelite or whatever?

yes I agree - the point is which bayonet system you might want to use - it makes sense to use the Nauticam bayonet system with a Fantasea housing if you want to add a WWL-C later.  If you are not concerned about using a WWL you could use another makers bayonet system.  You want to be using the same manufacturers bayonet system on both the macro lens and the wide lens if you plan to swap between them on a dive. 

and yes you can attach most bayonet systems to most any port as long as it has a m67 thread (or adapt it to m52 or m77).  However read the fine print for all the lenses you might want to use for example the Fantasea bayonet system has a flange for the bayonet  attachment rather than an m67 attachment.  Macro lenses seem to be purely m67 so easier.

I'm just saying do your homework before you decide which system to buy into.

Sponsors

Advertisements