Hey guys

I'd welcome some advice on creating a "studio" in a swimming pool. I'm essentially looking to create either an "L"-shaped black or white backdrop where the model can pose on the lower, horizontal, leg of the "L".

I've had machined up a 2m x 2m length of fabric with a black side and a white side. It has pockets machined on two opposite sides through which I can insert PVC tubes. So I can two get opposite sides quite rigid. In trials I have been able to keep the horizontal sides of the backdrop rigid: the top end held by weights on the pool side, the bottom by weights on the pool floor. But I cannot get the cloth even reasonably rigid on the vertical sides.  The billowing folds really show up on the images.

I was thinking of using two more PVC tubes vertically, cutting them near the pool floor and inserting some kind of angled joint which would allow for the L-shape.

But maybe there is a better way of doing this. Any thoughts out there?

Much appreciated!

You need a means to keep the fabric taught and using pockets for the tubes I don't think will do it.  I'm not really clear on what you have so far but it sounds like the fabric is supported by tubes on 2 sides only.  I would think it needs support and tension all the way around.  You might be able to make a square PVC frame and use velcro tabs on the non pocket end to keep it taughtbut you would need more than just a couple of them to get it even I think.

Are you trying to make something like this in the pool?  https://www.thefront.com.au/backdrops/grey-canvas-backdrop-19ft-x-19ft-hire

Posted (edited)

Hi, Tim:

I have no experience or knowledge of such a project, but here is what I can imagine:

Your goal is two surfaces, one horizontal, one vertical, they need not be joined, just close together to appear as one.

For the horizontal surface, I would consider a rigid sheet, say sheet metal painted black, which might consist of several overlapping smaller sheets to make it easier to handle. It would sink and stay, and will be thick enough not to ripple when somebody steps, sits, or lays on it.

For the horizontal surface one needs something that allows water to flow through it, so it does not sway or ripple when the water moves back and forth. 

1. Maybe take advantage of the slots of venetian blinds to allow water flow.  Use discarded venetian blinds painted black, mounted on a 2 m square of thick pipe, the pipe might be slotted longitudinally along its inner length to hold the edges of the blinds. The blinds can be left slightly open so the water can flow back and forth.  Maybe store selling window blinds and curtains might have used blinds. 

2. Make a 2 m square of pipe holding a square of 1 or 2 cm wire mesh, the mesh then can support a thick plastic sheet, or one or more layers of light weight, open mesh fabric, died black, to keep it from rippling.   Or sandwich the plastic or fabric between two layers of light weight wire mesh, everything sprayed black. 

Intriguing project, I sure hope to hear of its progress, and also enjoy the photos you take with it.

Best of luck!  

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Thanks, Elias. Hmmm, some food for thought there for sure. 

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

You need a means to keep the fabric taught and using pockets for the tubes I don't think will do it.  I'm not really clear on what you have so far but it sounds like the fabric is supported by tubes on 2 sides only.  I would think it needs support and tension all the way around.  You might be able to make a square PVC frame and use velcro tabs on the non pocket end to keep it taughtbut you would need more than just a couple of them to get it even I think.

Are you trying to make something like this in the pool?  https://www.thefront.com.au/backdrops/grey-canvas-backdrop-19ft-x-19ft-hire

Yeah, that's it, Chris The fabric is currently supported on two (horizontal sides = top and bottom). And yes, it need to be tensioned all the way around but flexible enough that it ends up as a sort of soft letter L. 

The link produces a very sharp L backdrop. This would be ok, and I think I could do this using PVC piping with a right angle joint (so, as you suggest, making each side rigid with  piping . But I think this will produce a clear vertical/horizontal line at the bottom. Whereas I'm trying to produce a softer almost J shape where you can't see the backdrop moving from the vertical to the horizontal.

31 minutes ago, TimG said:

Yeah, that's it, Chris The fabric is currently supported on two (horizontal sides = top and bottom). And yes, it need to be tensioned all the way around but flexible enough that it ends up as a sort of soft letter L. 

The link produces a very sharp L backdrop. This would be ok, and I think I could do this using PVC piping with a right angle joint (so, as you suggest, making each side rigid with  piping . But I think this will produce a clear vertical/horizontal line at the bottom. Whereas I'm trying to produce a softer almost J shape where you can't see the backdrop moving from the vertical to the horizontal.

You could use those  bendy shock-corded tent poles they use in dome tents perhaps one on each side.  You could slot them into holes you drill in the PVC pipe each end.  It would need a rigid L frame for the PVC pipe part and perhaps something to pull the poles back closer to the bend of the L at the bottom to avoid having a full semi circle.  You would probably need to source a pole and adjust the frame to suit the length of the pole.  Attach the fabric at regular intervals with velcro tabs that wrap over the pole.

One thing that might help is to build a small scale model of the gizmo, before purchasing full scale poles and/or pipes.   Maybe a 1/2 pipe model, using fabric or plastic sheet or mosquito netting, and trying it out in the pool.  

Chris/Elias - thanks! Some super ideas there. I'll try them out. 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements