Sign in to follow this  
Rob Mc

Laowa 24mm probe lens - underwater

Anyone have a chance to try the Venus Optics Laowa 24mm probe lens underwater?

I noticed Nauticam has a port adapter for it and LensRentals.com offers the lens with various camera mounts. Just wondering if anyone’s had any experience using one underwater? Since the widest aperture is f/14 right off the bat I’d imagine you’d want to be cruising at a high ISO and plenty of strobe power. It’s a unique perspective above the surface but I’d love to know if anyone’s taken the plunge to haul that thing around underwater. If that ends up being me then I’ll definitely share the results of my endeavors!

It's been mentioned  a few times on WP, this post

Does not seem like it has had great uptake.  The EMWL lenses from Nauticam are getting good reviews though.

This post mentions the laowa lens and covers the EMWL optics as well:

This is a review of the EMWL lenses:

I have the advantage of having shot both the Laowa 14mm and the Nauticam EMWL.

The Laowa is tough to shoot underwater...manual focus and aperture makes for challenges. Quality wise, it is OK. 

190624_ahanlon_5374.jpg

The tentacles here are on the lens' front element. 

I do need to do more with EMWL, but the initial impressions are that it is much easier to shoot. 

The Laowa is rectilinear, which is probably why it has been adopted by many video shooters. The jury is still out of the 100° objective as to how much distortion there is.

Adam

Thanks for the great information! Sorry about the repeat post, I searched the forums but didn't see those previous threads for some reason. Gave the other posts a thorough read. Interesting findings on the two systems. Would love to test both the Laowa and EMWL myself! 

Wondering if the internal lights on the LAOWA 24mm are being used in addition to video lights. Does the housing accomodate the power USB attachment to a power source in the housing?

I haven't used them although they could be. The USB plug is within the (Nauticam) housing, so assuming you could find space for a battery pack, it could be used.

Two drawbacks though:

1. The light aren't really powerful enough underwater
2. There is no way to control it, so it would be either on or off for the duration of the dive. 

Adam

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements