Have any of you folks tried any of the new Nikon FF Z lenses underwater, such as the Z 28mm f2.8 (SE) or MC 50mm micro, both of which have as close a minimum focus as the f60 micro we use?  They are small lightweight lenses, and travel weight is becoming a factor these days.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hey Divebiddie

I don't think we have seen any reports here yet on Z series lenses. I think folks have been using the FTZ with macro lenses and the Nikkor 8-15. It'll be interesting therefore to see the response.

Hauling a D500 system around, I know what you mean about travel weight!

Thank you for responding.  I think I'll jump in and give one a try.  I hated to have a Z camera and not try the lenses the camera was made for.  

Can understand that feeling!

Do let us know how you get on and post some samples. There’ll be a good bit of interest.  The Z 14-30 would be especially interesting 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, TimG said:

Can understand that feeling!

Do let us know how you get on and post some samples. There’ll be a good bit of interest.  The Z 14-30 would be especially interesting 

I took some pictures with the 14-30 on the Swedish west coast last week. Not many and nothing spectacular but if it's of interest I could upload a few samples. Anything specific you're looking for? 

46 minutes ago, horvendile said:

Anything specific you're looking for?

I think it's more that we don't really know how that lens performs underwater - it's so new, well, for underwater anyway.

What port did you use? Corner sharpness? Overall impressions? Any relevant comparisons?

1 hour ago, TimG said:

I think it's more that we don't really know how that lens performs underwater - it's so new, well, for underwater anyway.

What port did you use? Corner sharpness? Overall impressions? Any relevant comparisons?

Ok, then I'll try to produce some uncropped and possibly largely un-edited images.

I've used it behind a Zen 230 mm glass port. I think constantly at f/8 which may sound optimistic, especially as I was often at 14-15 mm, but remember that this is with the Sea & Sea 82 mm correction lens. I'm new to uw photo with ILC, so I don't have much to compare with.

Pictures coming soon.

Cool, many thanks. I'm sure it'll be of interest to many members.

Posted (edited)

Ok it'll have to be one picture per post. I have selected five of them. All are uncropped and, well, the point is to see technical image quality. Which may be a bit difficult because of murky waters and I haven't taken the pictures with that in mind.

All are taken with a Nikon Z7 and all are at f/8. This one is at 14 mm. And ISO 3200.

Z7A_2521.jpg

Edited by horvendile

Many thanks!

Thank you for your information.

I am also using Z Mount, but I am using FTZ Mount 8-15mm fish eye lens and 105mm macro lens.

I was very interested in the combination of 14-30mm F4 lens and SEA&SEA filter, but I was hesitating because there was no review.

I wonder the result of the picture of the higher aperture.

One more, which I forgot in the first batch. Not chosen for its beauty but because it's shot of a flatter surface than the other pictures. Still not exactly a brick wall test though.

15.5 mm
f/8
ISO 1600

Z7A_2537.jpg

What do you think of the corners? I know you are using the S&S correction lens and a 230 dome - so you have got about as much help as you can get!

Thought I would try the new Z105mm, but Nauticam doesn't make a port yet.

The joke is on me getting the Z camera to enable use if the Z lenses.  I'm still using f lenses with adapter.  Regrets.

6 hours ago, TimG said:

What do you think of the corners? I know you are using the S&S correction lens and a 230 dome - so you have got about as much help as you can get!

Well, it's still kind of difficult to say, given my limited experience, how little I've used the setup, and that I haven't taken many shots that offer a good opportunity to assess the corners fairly. Hope to have more data this November!

However, if I am to say anything, I'm happy. Most of my photos have been taken at 14 mm which I gather is really pushing it for rectilinear. Also I'm at f/8, a luxury not expected without the S&S correction lens. Sure there is some smearing in the corners, but I thought it would be worse at those settings. I'd still, preliminarily, call it very usable at 14 mm f/8. Not perfect but very usable.

5 hours ago, Divebiddie said:

Thought I would try the new Z105mm, but Nauticam doesn't make a port yet.

Chances are you can use it with the same port as for the F-mount 105 mm.

I haven't had the opportunity to try, but the Z 105 is almost precisely as long as FTZ + F 105. IIRC it's ever so slightly thicker, but only a mm or so. There is probably room in the old lens port for that - I say, without knowing the specifics about the Nauticam port. I have good hopes for the Sea&Sea port I have.

1 hour ago, horvendile said:

Chances are you can use it with the same port as for the F-mount 105 mm.

Yeah, I thought that. But according to the Nikon website:

The AF-S is 3.3" (83mm) diameter x 4.4" (116mm) length

and the Z is: 3.4" (85) x 5.6" (140mm)

So it's a good bit longer. But an EXR should be able to handle that.

4 hours ago, TimG said:

Yeah, I thought that. But according to the Nikon website:

The AF-S is 3.3" (83mm) diameter x 4.4" (116mm) length

and the Z is: 3.4" (85) x 5.6" (140mm)

So it's a good bit longer. But an EXR should be able to handle that.

The Nauticam housing has been setup so that the F lens port chart applies with the FTZ adapter,  which means the camera lens mount flange sits further back in the housing than the F mount versions it means the housing is thicker but allows use of the same ports for adapted lenses.  Other manufacturers may do it differently.

Unless they radically change the design of a lens like a macro lens it will be longer than the F mount version by about the thickness of the the FTX adapter which is 30.5mm and 140mm- 30.5mm = 109.5mm.  So effectively for Nauticam ports the lens is 6.5mm shorter.  

For the S&S system they may have done the same as Nauticam or they may have tried to make the housing more compact by placing the flange in the same position as the F mount housings, the way they lay out the port charts it's not obvious but I see they have the same port for the nikon 105mm macro  in F series housings and the Z7 housing so I expect the same port will fit the Z lens but will have a 6.5mm longer gap to the port glass.

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/system_chart/mdx_nikon.html

Sea & Sea have done the same, ie made the housing so that with FTZ adapter the lens starts at the same position as in the F-mount housings, meaning the same port chart applies for F-mount lenses.

Which leads me to...

9 hours ago, horvendile said:

the Z 105 is almost precisely as long as FTZ + F 105

this being the relevant measure. Not the lenses compared to each other, but the total length including FTZ where applicable. And then the length difference is small. Well, as ChrisRoss already wrote.

6 hours ago, horvendile said:

Not the lenses compared to each other, but the total length including FTZ where applicable.

Good point!

Thanks to you and Chris

There are a few Aussies shooting with the Z system and the new MC 50mm lens.. it looks damn good from what I've seen, and I'll be picking up that one after setting up the wide angle rig.

I've seen quite a few as well from photographers with the 14-30, less with the 8-15.

Both Brett Lobwein and Matty Smith have instagram accounts and they have both used the Z system. You'd have to look through their pics though for the descriptions as I know they also shoot with D850/D500s. 

Sponsors

Advertisements