Elijah Aasand

Recommended setup for competitive freediver?

For about a year now I have been using a canon 5d MK III in a 5DSR nauticam housing with the 8.5 inch acrylic dome. I have only ever shot ambient light with my 8-15mm. I love my fisheye and want to keep it,  but would like to try other lenses aswell as upgrade the camera. I use a gopro for video

I need something that will do well in low light and have good stills/video capabilities. I am open to using a strobe or video light if it's not too bulky. The size of my current setup isnt a problem for me.

I enjoy shooting divers, turtles, fish, sharks, Mantas, and reef landscapes and close up coral.

Currently I am considering the Canon R5 or Sony A7c. The features of the R5 appeal to me but the A7c would be really nice for its compact size. Another option would be to upgrade my housing for use with the 5d MK IV for the cost of about $1000

What setup would you recommend for a professional freediver?

Edited by Elijah Aasand

Really depends on your budget, if you want to streamline things a little a smaller dome such as the 140mm dome for your fisheye is one thing to consider.    Much of the compact size of the A7C in use comes from the ability to use the WWL with the kit lens.  If you were to use the 8.5"dome some of that advantage is lost.

All of the Canon full frame housings for Nauticam are more or less the same size, other vendors have smaller lighter housings that take more advantage of the smaller size of the mirrorless cameras.

What do you hope to achieve with other lenses?  I would think that for most purposes you listed the fisheye is a great choice, the main advantage you could expect out of something like a 16-35mm lens is a bit more reach and a bit more freedom placing divers in the frame.

As for lighting/strobes it certainly will improve your photos as you go deeper but keeping it compact might be a challenge with the arms needed for holding the strobes.   If you were to restrict strobes to CFWA work on reefs and the like the strobes sit in close and I have seen some people attach strobes directly to the ball mounts on the tray handles with a single clamp.  The lighting setup will be similar no matter what housing you use you choose. 

Sponsors

Advertisements