wildw3@live.com

Problems with strobe trigger on a Nauticam NA850.

Has any one had trouble with the strobe trigger in the Nauticam NA 850 where the 2 CR2032 lithium ion battery totally flattens within 24 hours?  This occurs with the hot shoe connected or disconnected to the Nikon D850.

Nauticam NA 850 strobe trigger.jpg

48 minutes ago, wildw3@live.com said:

Has any one had trouble with the strobe trigger in the Nauticam NA 850 where the 2 CR2032 lithium ion battery totally flattens within 24 hours?  This occurs with the hot shoe connected or disconnected to the Nikon D850.

Sounds like a short of some form.  Maybe try to DM Pavel for an opinion.  I'll move this to the lighting/strobe forum as well.

Contact a Nauticam service center. The board is shorting out if it's burning batteries sitting idle.

The board is stamped: 201804  NA446-01-161-1A, so it looks to be a Nauticam board. To prevent electric or battery leak damage to the housing, I remove the board as follows: first remove the batteries, remove the two mounting screws, and carefully pull out the two LED's to free the board. 
Once the board is outside, one can inspect it, the battery holders, LED wires and other for damage and shorted parts.  Also your housing dealer and/or Nauticam rep. for a replacement board.  Please tell us the outcome.

Thanks for that, pulled out the circuit board no obvious problem. I even pulled apart the hot shoe, still nothing obvious. So I have ordered a new circuit board from the Australian, Nauticam dealer

Nauticam NA 850 strobe trigger board.jpg

Now that the board is out of the housing, I would be tempted to install fresh batteries, plug it into the camera and re-test it.   If you, or an electronics-inclined friend have a VOM tester, you might look for defects in the hot shoe, hot shoe plug and cable.  Also examine the cable and  board chips closely for signs of damage.  
If the board is one or two years old, and defective, I would be tempted to ask for a free replacement.  The solid state electronics should be long lived, many years, it is not acceptable for them to go in a short time.  

If the board is OK, then the camera's hot shoe should be tested with another flash, to make sure it is not at fault.  
Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Posted (edited)

This manual trigger is Nauticam original product. Better contact Nauticam by e-mail for the details.

But of course, if the deinstalled board on the table empties batteries in 1 day by itself,  it is a defected board, change it via the dealer.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

Thanks everyone, I couldn't find a defect in the flash trigger so I removed it and replaced it with a new circuit-board which seams to have fixed it.  Thanks go to Peter Mooney of Scubapix the Australian Nauticam distributor.

Sponsors

Advertisements