imacro

SEL90mm vs Kit lens + CMC-1?

I have a Sony A7C with kit lens and Nauticam CMC1. I can take some nice macro with this setup like this one

However, the working range is very limited. I often found myself not able to get close enough to the subject because of the rocks or corals will block my camera going further.

I also have a SEL90mm lens. I’d need to shell out a new port for it. Would it give me better working range and flexibility? How is the photo quality compared to the kit lens with Diopter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let others comment on photo quality comparison but it will be excellent on the 90mm macro.  The working distances for the CMC lenses are on the port chart.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iKqk4ZJMjLrn7hFnw0G4_SNCJuxh2Q1U/view

You'll see the CMC-2  starts to focus where the CMC-1 stops at approx 70mm and has close to double the working range which is still pretty small at 52mm - it will achieve maximum magnification of about 0.7x filling the frame with a 35mm long object across the sensor horizontal axis.  It may be another option to consider and be easier to use than the CMC-1 but still not as flexible which focuses from infinity all the way down to 1:1.

You may experience the opposite problem with the 90mm macro  where you will have 130mm working distance from the front element at 1:1 magnification, so you will have progressively more working distance as you shoot larger subjects.  It probably presents little difficulty in clear tropical waters but may be limiting cloudy temperate waters for most subjects apart from small subjects less than maybe 50-70mm (2-3 inches) in length.  You will certainly have more flexibility in subject selection with the macro lens.

I'm interested in this same topic.  I have the A7C+28-60 Kit lens and use the CMC-1 for macro.  Nice and sharp if you can get the lens in close enough, but a lot of missed opportunities due to insufficient working distance, or  there's no room to light the subject with one or both strobes. 

Also considering a dedicated macro lens/port.  Considering the Sony 90mm or Sigma 105.

To be clear about the lens choices the 28-60 works with CMC-1 & 2. I have also stacked two CMC-1's for even more magnification but with very close (10-12mm) distance from port to subject. 

With the Nauticam C/U lenses the recommendation for Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 macro is the more expensive SMC-1 & 2 lenses. Unlike the CMC's the SMC-2 adds more magnification over SMC-1 while the CMC-2 adds less magnification Over CMC-1. If you use CMC lenses on 90mm the edges and corners will be soft because CMC lenses are designed for sub-full frame cameras. SMC-1 & 2 also work very well with the 28-60 combo.

Explained in another thread the Sigma 105 focuses slower than the Sony 90mm and 50mm macros.  

• Like 1

Good to know the SMC-1 & 2 work on the 28-60, as they aren't listed as compatible on the port chart. 

In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the SMC-1 as it can be used on both the 28-60 and 90mm.

Sponsors

Advertisements