josemuelledes

external diameter of Aquatica Zoom ring

Hi every one!

Please, Can any body say me the external diameter of a aquatica zoom ring (in millimeters if possible)?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The pinion moves apart to be possible to insert large lens from the back of the housing without the need to remove the port and release the lens from the front.

That usually is done by rotating the inner part of the zoom control by 90 degrees. 

Can you share a photo from the pinion activation from inside the housing?

Edited by pbalves
correct the English

That why I asked for a picture of the mechanism inside. It might be that a part is misaligned.

• Like 1

Is this a new issue for this housing?  By this I mean did it work in the past but now does not engage properly?  Or is this a new zoom gear that does not engage properly?  The cause may be different for the different cases?

have you tried to see if there is more travel in the mechanism, by pushing it gently with your finger?  If you can move it far enough manually it may mean the mechanism is binding.

2 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

Is this a new issue for this housing?  By this I mean did it work in the past but now does not engage properly?  Or is this a new zoom gear that does not engage properly?  The cause may be different for the different cases?

have you tried to see if there is more travel in the mechanism, by pushing it gently with your finger?  If you can move it far enough manually it may mean the mechanism is binding.

No idea. I bought it second hand one year ago.
First I thought the ring is only for focus but,  if the size of the focus ring and zoom ring is the same, i'm lost.

yes, I have try to push the mechanism and it doesn't move more. 

In the original image of the housing in aquatica website, I can see the mechanism is the same like mine.

d7000_01.jpg

Maybe i need to contact with the local dealer after holidays!

Do you have the reference of the zoom gear you own?

I noticed at 

My camera is Canon 7D MkII. it uses type 2 lens chart. for exemple, for Tokina 10-17 FE, it uses the 18717 zoom gear.

The type 3 lens for Nikon uses the same zoom gear for that lens.

The AD7000 housing uses the type 4 lens for Nikon, that for the same lens uses the 48717 zoom gear.

It might be that the difference in the zoom gears is the external diameter.

The dimension and number of teeth I gave you is based on the 18xxx type of gears.

• Like 1

no,  I don't have the reference number. 

But maybe you are right and all the rings I have are focus ring instead zoom ring. 

On both my Aquatica housings the dimension os the external diameter of the focus gear and zoom gear are equal (I still own an ancient manual focus flat port, that does not appear anymore at Aquatica website)

I believe that nowadays Aquatica is using the zoom control to do the manual focus on the 100mm macro lens (much better than the manual control on the flat port, as it gets a more ergonomically position and reduces increases the distance from the hand handling the control knob and the critters at the front of the port)

The focus ring also changed from a 19xxx to a 49xxx reference. 

if someone that has a gear for Nikon or Canon for type 4 cameras and can share de external diameter and number of teeth, I believe the mistery is solved…

Of course another away is Aquatica technicians/commercials jump in and give you a help…..

I am confident that if this tread was about Nauticam, a Nauticam responsible had already answered properly!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, josemuelledes said:

no,  I don't have the reference number. 

But maybe you are right and all the rings I have are focus ring instead zoom ring. 

I don't believe the issue is focus vs Zoom rings as they all come to the right elevation to work with the housing zoom/focus control, they just don't reach the gear to allow meshing.  I found this press release from Aquatica and while it does not specifically state that the type 4 rings are bigger diameter it does note that the reason for the change was to accommodate larger diameter lenses.

https://www.aquatica.ca/en/press_releases/d7000_new_gear_format_press_release.pdf

The other thing to check is if the disc under the zoom knob (item 10 in the manual key diagram) is being re positioned fully and there are no stops preventing it being fully seated.  You could try emailing Aquatica they should be able to advise directly if what you are observing is due to having the wrong zoom ring.

5 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

I don't believe the issue is focus vs Zoom rings as they all come to the right elevation to work with the housing zoom/focus control, they just don't reach the gear to allow meshing.  I found this press release from Aquatica and while it does not specifically state that the type 4 rings are bigger diameter it does note that the reason for the change was to accommodate larger diameter lenses.

https://www.aquatica.ca/en/press_releases/d7000_new_gear_format_press_release.pdf

The other thing to check is if the disc under the zoom knob (item 10 in the manual key diagram) is being re positioned fully and there are no stops preventing it being fully seated.  You could try emailing Aquatica they should be able to advise directly if what you are observing is due to having the wrong zoom ring.

Thank you chris! 

Emailing aquatica  asap!

Mistery Solved!!

Answer from Aquatica techsupport: the type 4 zoom gear "have an outside diameter of 3.750 inches or 95.25 MM"

Thank you everyone for your help!

Sponsors

Advertisements