Jump to content
bghazzal

Any ideas on how to build / attach a tripod system for a Nauticam Flexitray?

Recommended Posts

Tripod tray ordered from Aliexpress arrived yesterday. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001793864931.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43284c4dv3RhVP)

Not too bad really, build quality seems perfectly fine. Although hard to go wrong when it's such a simple piece of gear

Had to use my own bolts/washers/nuts to secure it to my Panasonic lx-15 Nauticam Hosing, rather than the ones provided but that's not a big deal.


Perhaps one potential issue will be the 45 degree angle of the 1" ball arm connectors limiting how tight you can position the camera rig to the substrate. However, I'll need to give it test to confirm or deny this.

Looking forward to getting a chance to use this in the coming weeks. 


Cheers!

 

 

250373701_589229262186976_19806960695459605_n.jpg

252348583_647221499988190_6720140727788389779_n.jpg

252762962_666684118071343_4352854999092627308_n.jpg

Edited by Mattg256
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems perfect to me.

45° angle is perfect. Keep in mind that my Nauticam GH5 default ball joints for tripod use are at 0° (horizontal) and you have to tight it strong.

In your config I like that ball joints are so long that you have a mini tripod already. That alone would cover 80% of my typical filming situations. Expecially close details not real macro.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mattg256 said:

Tripod tray ordered from Aliexpress arrived yesterday. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001793864931.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43284c4dv3RhVP)

Not too bad really, build quality seems perfectly fine. Although hard to go wrong when it's such a simple piece of gear

Had to use my own bolts/washers/nuts to secure it to my Panasonic lx-15 Nauticam Hosing, rather than the ones provided but that's not a big deal.


Perhaps one potential issue will be the 45 degree angle of the 1" ball arm connectors limiting how tight you can position the camera rig to the substrate. However, I'll need to give it test to confirm or deny this.

Looking forward to getting a chance to use this in the coming weeks. 


Cheers!

 

 

250373701_589229262186976_19806960695459605_n.jpg

252348583_647221499988190_6720140727788389779_n.jpg

252762962_666684118071343_4352854999092627308_n.jpg

Looks great!
There's quite a lot you can do with a Flexitray after all - too bad the standard tray spacing isn't really thought out for extra attachements as is, but a little DIY makes it much more... flexible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 3:05 AM, Dann-Oh said:

Can you compare these clamps to something like a Ultralight Controls clamp?  Im also looking into putting a tripod onto my kit and dont want to waste money on a cheap set up.

I would definitely say that these clamps are v. good. I just used them on a 14 day trip. BUT the ultralight would have an edge in terms of how long they would last/function efficiently IMHO.

Diggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, Davide DB said:

I can suggest you, regardless of brand, TO NOT BUY this kind of clamps:

https://www.bgningoem.com/BGNING-Aluminum-Alloy-Diving-Clip-Clamp-Light-Arm-Ball-Head-Mount-for-Gopro-full-series-GitUp-SLR-Camera-Other-Diving-Sport-Camera-p1317213.html

these clamps are too small and do not grip tight enough

 

 

Davide I did buy these and they are a similar size to the nauticam larger clamps. But like I said in in reply to the above query. Am not sure if they would last as long as the nauticam ones. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, diggy said:

Davide I did buy these and they are a similar size to the nauticam larger clamps. But like I said in in reply to the above query. Am not sure if they would last as long as the nauticam ones. 

I found that the bent design doesn't hold well as the classic plain clamp design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Davide DB said:

I found that the bent design doesn't hold well as the classic plain clamp design.

Yes I agree with that! Lest see how long they last :-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...