Sign in to follow this  
JohnVila

Nauticam EMWL on cropped sensor

Good morning from Vanuatu

Has anybody tried the EMWL on nikon d500?

I am taking the plunge and getting the kit with 100 degree optics. It was suggested to me that the 105mm could have vignetting and that the 60mm may be better. The 105mm is my goto lens. We have an old 60mm tamron lying around but no 60mm port. The tamron lens is fine behind the 105mm port. The exercise gets a bit more costly if i need to get a 60mm nikon and port.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

John

Hi John, The recommended lens is a 60mm lens, assume you've seen the port charts here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGT_u0_l_7SgMmQ0jD0ip_WIWI_AGjiK/view

The 105mm lens I don't think would vignette as it is recommended for Nikon full frame cameras and you are just taking a crop effectively using it with an APS-C sensor, however you would not get the 100° field, I would estimate the field would be around 75°.   I'm guessing most people using it would be using the recommended lens combinations.

As far as your Tamron lens goes, when you say it will fit in the 105mm port I expect there is a big gap to the port glass - which while it may not impact bare performance of the macro lens is going to have some impact on the performance of the EMWL set.  Normally the spacing is quite important for performance of these optics.  I'm not sure what the impact would be, but I guess it could reduce your field of view.  You could of course try it out and buy the port/lens if it doesn't work properly.

I do have experience using the EMWL, but only on a FF camera. Chris posted while I was typing and already mentioned most of this, but I'll post it anyway since I already typed it and it may be useful:

*The Nikon 105mm and 60mm macros are both compatible with the EMWL system, but they require different focusing units (#1 and #3, respectively).

*Using the EMWL with the 105mm on the D500 will work fine, but obviously you will be getting a reduced FOV due to the cropped sensor. For example, with the 100° objective I think you would end up with a 76° FOV.

*The Tamron 60mm macro is not officially supported, so it may not work correctly.

Edited by Isaac Szabo

Thank you Chris and Isaac - understood. Yes there is too big a gap to try the Tamron, I am not overly keen on that lens.

Given the reduced field of view -- maybe I could switch out to the 130 degree objective lens? Saves buying another port and lens. If I can get away with using my existing port and 105mm that would be my preference.

I note also on the port chart that for the 60mm on APSC they recommend a hoya +4 adapter.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

John

• Like 1

You probably could go the 130° route though at $AU prices the 130° unit is $370 more than the 100° unit which is 50% of the price of the macro port 60. My feeling is that spending $AU6000 on the system I wouldn't risk that by going with something not on the port chart to save the $729 for the macro port.

The situation for the focusing units is a little hazy though , the Nauticam website says the 18701 is for Nikon and Olympus while other units are for Canon/Sony/Panasonic.  I would suggest clarifying that as it doesn't mention the Nikon 60mm lens in the list and the port chart does not mention which focus unit to use.  The fact they have different focusing units for different manufacturers I would think may not bode well for third party lenses??  For example they list different EMWL sets for the Nikon and SIgma 105mm lenses.

Yes with the 130° objective and 105mm/D500 I think you would end up around 110°. I don't think anything about that is "not on the port chart" except for the cropped sensor camera body (which shouldn't matter for the optics to work right). Though considering the price of the EMWL it might be a good idea to try to confirm that with Nauticam.

Good catch on the 60mm requiring a diopter. I was going to mention that and then forgot. 

The port chart actually does list which focusing unit is required on the right side under the "EMWL" column.

Edited by Isaac Szabo

4 hours ago, Isaac Szabo said:

Yes with the 130° objective and 105mm/D500 I think you would end up around 110°. I don't think anything about that is "not on the port chart" except for the cropped sensor camera body (which shouldn't matter for the optics to work right). Though considering the price of the EMWL it might be a good idea to try to confirm that with Nauticam.

Good catch on the 60mm requiring a diopter. I was going to mention that and then forgot. 

The port chart actually does list which focusing unit is required on the right side under the "EMWL" column.

Yeah, I see it now, but it's contradicted by the Nauticam EMWL web page which shows #1 = Nikon #2 = Canon etc.  This is the page where you add the units to your cart so it would be easy to order something that doesn't match the port chart.  https://www.nauticam.com/collections/water-contact-optics-for-nav/products/emwl

That contradiction and the apparent need to get just the right focusing unit means you probably really need to talk to Nauticam.

There's not really a contradiction there. The webpage just shows a smaller list of compatible lenses and is reflective of the information Nauticam was putting out when the EMWL was first released. The port chart has been produced at a later time after they had done more testing and added over twice as many lenses to the compatibility list. Ideally they would update the webpage to be more current/complete, but the information that is included on the webpage does exactly match the port chart, so it shouldn't lead to anyone ordering the wrong part.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements