Hello!  I'm having some trubles with my strobe and camera ( I'm not sure if I conected everything allright or I'm doing something wrong)
I already try all modes of flash of the camera (Sony a7II) with every combination of the flash (YS-01 sea n sea) with my housing (Sea Frog Sony A7II NG V.2).
The problem is that my flash is not firing.To get in context I use a Sea & Sea Sync Cord - Nikonos Style for YS strobes with a Retra E-Opto Sync Cord Converter - Sea & Sea 5 Pin to to conect my Strobe to the Housing but is not firing the flash. My flash is new and It's working on others cameras that I tried with a diferent Housing , I also tried different types of fiber optic cables and nothing. Some told me to try disconnecting the fiber optic from the strobe to see if there is a red light at the end of the fibe optic and it so.
So now I'm lost or  maybe ¿They are not compatible?

If you detach the fiber optic cable and look into the converter itself, can you see it flashing when you take a photo? If yes, then the problem is along the fiber optic path - for example, it might not be powerful enough to trigger the YS-01. If it's not flashing at all, then the problem is between the camera and the converter - make sure that the camera flash mode is set to WL, shutter speed is 1/160s or slower, and all the connections are tight. You might want to check with Retra support, they'll probably have better insights to offer.

Keep in mind that unless you're shooting macro, the power output of a single YS-01 will be pretty limiting for a full-frame camera - these strobes are meant more for compacts with smaller sensors. If you want to shoot wide-angle with an A7 II, a pair of Inon Z-240s or Sea & Sea YS-D1s is more or less the baseline as far as strobes are concerned. Incidentally, both of those come with wired sync connections, so you don't have to mess around with converters.

I see you say you can see a red flash at the end of the cable.  This means light is getting through the cable, but it may not be enough light.  This converter is designed for retra strobes which I believe have quite sensitive optical triggers and it may not be powerful enough to trigger the YS-D1.  I would suggest the following steps:

• Check if the light from the converter is syncing with your camera.  Setup your camera with a macro lens and take a photo of the end of the optic fibre cable.  If it is syncing you will see a red glow in the photo.
  • If the sync test is OK Hold the converter up to the sensor of the YS-D1 and see if you can trigger the strobe bypassing the optical fibre cable.  This tests to see if the cable is a problem.
  • Report back with the results.

I see Oskar has replied, I still think it's worth doing the tests as you may be able to get it to work, but I expect the pulse might be too weak.

Maybe just connect the housing to the strobe with a sync cord (keep it simple... KIS).  

Parts being used:
"camera (Sony a7II) ...
flash (YS-01 sea n sea)  ...
housing (Sea Frog Sony A7II NG V.2) ...
Sea & Sea Sync Cord - Nikonos Style for YS strobes ...
Retra E-Opto Sync Cord Converter."

After 'Keep it Simple': 
Camera >
housing >
sync cord >
flash.
=

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

7 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Maybe just connect the housing to the strobe with a sync cord (keep it simple... KIS).  

That'd require a very significant modification of the strobe - as it is, YS-01 only has optical input, and the housing only has a wired sync bulkhead.

You are right, my apologies.  I mistook the YS-01 to be the YS-D1.

That still leaves the problem of how to connect the sync cord from the housing to the fiber optic cable, a Google search did not help. 

There are basically three options that I can think of:

1. Change the strobe(s) to something that supports wired triggering (YS-110α, YS-D1, Z-220, Z-240) and use a sync cord.
  2. Get a UW-Technics TTL board for SeaFrogs housings - it comes with a replacement optical bulkhead. Caveat: it doesn't have a TTL profile for YS-01, so only manual operation will be supported.
  3. Get the UW-Technics bulkhead alone and use it with a simple manual-only trigger - less expensive than an entire UW-Technics kit, but has potential compatibility issues.

My personal choice would be to go for better strobes - it just isn't worthwhile to invest hundreds of dollars into making a single old YS-01 fire.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advices! I think the best Idea is to get a diferent and better strobe instead of investing more money to make this work!

Sponsors

Advertisements