Sign in to follow this  
scubadudee

DSLR or Mirrorless

Hi all, 

I am still using my TG camera. 

Thought of upgrading for better IQ shots so considering whether DSLR or Mirrorless. Then these two categories is further divided into Full Frame, Crop, MFT (4/3). Also the interesting point and shoot 1inch sensor. 

For best budget and IQ, ease of use UW like going through the settings, making use of the external strobe (via FO).

Thank you 

5 hours ago, saga7 said:

Aquatica housing nikon d60, nikon d60 body, extension, ikelite AI strobe and sync cord, TLC arms. Only thin you need is dome port which is easy to get and lens $1200usd          reefscenics.smugmugmug.com to see samples of what this housing does.

saga7

Please do not respond to the sorts of questions asked by the OP by offering your equipment for sale. I think Adam has mentioned this to you before. 

14 hours ago, scubadudee said:

Hi all, 

I am still using my TG camera. 

Thought of upgrading for better IQ shots so considering whether DSLR or Mirrorless. Then these two categories is further divided into Full Frame, Crop, MFT (4/3). Also the interesting point and shoot 1inch sensor. 

For best budget and IQ, ease of use UW like going through the settings, making use of the external strobe (via FO).

Thank you 

A very open ended question.  The step up in image quality from a 1/ 2/3" sensor to even a 1"sensor is quite large, the sensor size goes from 6.1 x 4.5mm to 15.8 x 13.2mm.  That's 28 mm2 to 116 mm2 or 4x the light collected and m43 is almost double that.  Collecting more light is what allows image quality to improve. 

As you go up in sensor size, the cost goes up, sometimes quite significantly and the things like dome size, shooting aperture and overall weight go up as well.  Mirrorless bodies are smaller than DSLR in many cases but they still need the same size accessories such as large domes for rectilinear wide lens and in some cases the housings are nearly as big as the DSLR housings for equivalent models.  Size and weight is very important for air travel and also ease of use underwater. 

A similar question was asked here:

suggest you have a read over that thread as it covers things like comparative cost of the different systems and some of their pluses and minuses.  Please get back if you want to clarify anything further.

I've thought about going mirrorless, and the advantages and disadvantages for diving.

I'm currently shooting a D850 in a Nauticam housing and very happy.  Also used a D810 in a Nauticam for 4 years.  Before that, a Sony RX100 II in ... a Nauticam housing.

I've also used a series of Canon point-n-shoots before upgrading to DSLR.

Coming from the Sony RX100 might be a similar path to your own.   Here's the pros and cons I found, and where I think mirrorless has a serious edge.

First off, I started with the RX100 and dual strobes.   The strobes moved to the DSLR's so no advantage there, but some cost savings.

Thing about the Sony was it had a pretty useful zoom range, though IQ was clearly not as good as the D810/D850.  When I went to FX underwater, my lens choices were basically fisheye (ugh), wide angle 16-35, and macro, 60mm or 105mm.   That pretty much left me as a 16-35 wide shooter or a 105mm macro shooter with nothing in between.  So there's a bit of caution - lens choices are very limited.

Once I started using the D810, it just excelled at stills.  AF was fast and the camera very responsive.  IQ outstanding.  But video - I just really didn't ever do any video.  AF not usable, and I didn't know video anyway.  By the way, the 16-35 required a 230mm dome port, which is enormous and heavy and expensive.  And it didn't give me decent corners until I added a S & S  Internal Correction Lens.  If you commit to wide angle on FX, it's definitely a commitment!

The D850 was just more of the D810 - mostly faster autofocus.  I started learning video with this camera last couple of weeks, and i have to say it does a decent job.  But only if not trying to zoom the lens (noisy) or autofocus (almost hopeless).  I think mirrorless has a big advantage here, save perhaps the D780.

In fact I'm thinking that underwater, a Z7 II should be easier to use in most ways, or just about the same, as a D850.  Underwater plays to its strengths, though I think above water I'd prefer a D850.  It's just plain easier to do video on mirrorless cameras.

Unless you are a seasoned DSLR shooter and swear on using the OVF get a mirrorless. For people coming from a compact with no experience with SLRs it is a much smoother transition as the only thing that really changes are the interchangeable lenses. 

Sensor size depends on your budget, willingness to carry heavy gear and willingness to make (fairly small) compromises on IQ. In my opinion if you don’t want to print larger than 60x40cm Micro Four Thirds is good enough. If you want to go larger you might want more pixels. Low light advantages of FF get eaten up by requirements for higher apertures so I don’t think they’re all that relevant. 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements