Sign in to follow this  
sarthur1

Sony sel30M35 (30 macro) as a dive lens?

Hey all

I have a sony a6300 and Fantasea housing and up until now I used only the 16-50 lens for UWP.

I bought myself the Fantasea ucl-09f +12.5 wet lens and I found myself loving more and more the macro photography, but, I still love to take pictures of other things (my buddy, maybe a stingray or guitarfish etc.)

Which leads me to my 2 questions:

1. Will this lens (sony 30mm macro) fit to be kind of all-around lens for UWP or it won't be good for things other than macro?

2. If I'll put the macro wet lens on this lens, it'll give me a higher magnification or will it ruin the picture?

Thanks!

The 30mm macro is not the best macro option around.  Minimum focus is right on the port, where it is effectively unusable, this also means that diopters are not usable with the lens - the diopters work by allowing the lens to focus closer and you can't focus closer than the front element of the lens.  Effectively due to the short minimum focus distance it can achieve at most half life size magnification and you have to be quite close for that. I have seen people use it as a fish portrait lens. 

If you really want to do get into a macro something like the 50mm or 90mm macros lens are more useful and can get down to life size magnification - but you are on a macro only dive when using them.

Your 16-50 plus close up lens is much more a general purpose option doing everything other than the really big subjects, for which you could also carry a wet wide lens and swap between it, the bare lens and the close-up lens as required.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements