Sign in to follow this  
thomhard

2nd Sea & Sea 90DX or Housed SB800...?

Well this is the question I have to answer myself.

I'm now working with a 90DX mainly as a single strobe, very good to work with and sufficient in most situations. But once you get in a wreck or cave with the 10.5 lens you are way of the limit! :shock:

So gettin a second strobe puts me to the question to house my SB800 or to get a second 90DX? Pricewise it is more or less the same.

I know that there are a few pros and cons;

such as TTL for macro or equal flashes on both sides, just as the main ones.

So I would like to know some oppinions about this subject and what you would do or maybe what you did or think you would do?

Thanks

thomhard :?:

My divebuddy has a housed SB800 and he could not get it to work well with either Sea and Sea YS90DX or Ikelite DS125 for some reason. The TTL worked well as a single strobe but with another slave strobe, it always overexpose the picture as if it does not compensate for the 2nd strobe. He could never fixed the problem and posted something about it in the strobe section of the forum a few months ago. You might want to look into that before adding the SB800 to your existing strobe.

Personally I went with the second YS90DX. I have both it and the SB800 and experimenting with my D70 and these two strobes on land they will not operateproperly with iTTl. The SB can comunicate with the camera and other SB's but doesnt seem to be able to repond fast enough to the sudden burst of light from the 90DX. Bottom line you loose the iTTL you are hoping for and for wide angle you will be shooting manual anyway.

Having said all that I have a YS90DX with some accessories (sync cord and ultralight strobe adapter) for sale, hit me at mike@horseworks.com, or the reply address here and Ilwill get you more details.

Thanks a lot for the input, there is definitely a piont of not beein able to use both Flashes in TTL mode together.

But in Macro I wouldn't know why to use 2 strobes anyway that is where to go for TTL.

Any different oppinions? Gives the SB enough light as a single?

Then for wideangle, where I only would work with Manual mode and the two strobes together, has anyone experience with the light of the two? How hard is it to get them to work 'togher' light wise?

Thanks

thomhard :?:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements