jesmor3

Help estimating Rx100VII kit value

Hello!

My dive buddy and I are really into land photography so when we started to dive we built up a Sony RX100VII & Nauticam camera kit. We found we only dive on the side when traveling (instead of traveling TO a site to dive there) and will be downgrading to something simpler to reduce our travel bag size (probably a TG setup). I would like some help and input on estimating the value of this kit (this is not a for sale post).

Here is what I currently have and need help valuing as a kit. What do you think? TIA!

Camera

• Sony RX100 VII ($900)
  • 4 Sony batteries
  • 3-battery charger
  • Usb Charger cable
  • Power Adapter to USB
  • Sony Camera Lanyard for land-use

Housing/Ports

• Nauticam Rx100 VII Underwater Housing with two grips and shutter trigger. (Leak alert light functioning perfectly) $1,150
  • 1 Nauticam N50 Short port for WWL-C lens ($210)
  • 1 Longer port for zoom/macro
  • Nauticam M67 Flip Diopter Holder for NA-LX100 ($250)

Flash/Arms

• Inon Z-330 Flash with ball mount and cable connector ($600)
  • Sea&Sea Fiber Optic Cable for Flash Sync ($88)
  • 9 StiX Floaties (balanced for fresh water with WWL-C lens) ($100)
  • 3 Float Arms
  • 5 Ultralight clamps

Lenses/Accessories:

• SMC-1 Macro Lens and case ($600)
  • WWL-C Wide angle (Pristine, used a few times) $1,000
  • Backscatter Neoprene cover for WWL-C lens
  • OEM lens cap for WWL-C
  • 4 Eneloop AA batteries with better Quick Battery charger for Flash ($90)
  • Tools, lube, and extra o rings
  • Air pump for housing
  • Housing Wrist lanyard for BC

E324AAFD-82A4-49ED-B55A-B52C21366B32_1_105_c.jpeg

2 hours ago, jesmor3 said:

Hello!

My dive buddy and I are really into land photography so when we started to dive we built up a Sony RX100VII & Nauticam camera kit. We found we only dive on the side when traveling (instead of traveling TO a site to dive there) and will be downgrading to something simpler to reduce our travel bag size (probably a TG setup). I would like some help and input on estimating the value of this kit (this is not a for sale post).

Here is what I currently have and need help valuing as a kit. What do you think? TIA!

Camera

• Sony RX100 VII ($900) $500
  • 4 Sony batteries
  • 3-battery charger
  • Usb Charger cable
  • Power Adapter to USB
  • Sony Camera Lanyard for land-use

Housing/Ports

• Nauticam Rx100 VII Underwater Housing with two grips and shutter trigger. (Leak alert light functioning perfectly) $1,150 $650
  • 1 Nauticam N50 Short port for WWL-C lens ($210) $100
  • 1 Longer port for zoom/macro
  • Nauticam M67 Flip Diopter Holder for NA-LX100 ($250) $100

Flash/Arms

• Inon Z-330 Flash with ball mount and cable connector ($600) $400
  • Sea&Sea Fiber Optic Cable for Flash Sync ($88) $25
  • 9 StiX Floaties (balanced for fresh water with WWL-C lens) ($100) $40
  • 3 Float Arms
  • 5 Ultralight clamps $25 each

Lenses/Accessories:

• SMC-1 Macro Lens and case ($600)
  • WWL-C Wide angle (Pristine, used a few times) $1,000
  • Backscatter Neoprene cover for WWL-C lens
  • OEM lens cap for WWL-C
  • 4 Eneloop AA batteries with better Quick Battery charger for Flash ($90) (package with strobe)
  • Tools, lube, and extra o rings $0
  • Air pump for housing (Package with housing)
  • Housing Wrist lanyard for BC (Package with housing)

E324AAFD-82A4-49ED-B55A-B52C21366B32_1_105_c.jpeg

Some thoughts next to the items. Usually I reckon you have done very well if you get about 40% of new. Strobes, arms clamps can sell for maybe  bit more.

For cameras themselves use Ebay as a price guide, look up your item and in the filters click completed sales- this brings up everything of that model that has sold recently.  This will give you the range that people are paying for items.

Otherwise I agree with Tim, housing etc 40-50% of new value, clamps strobes a little more - check the classifieds here to see what strobes have sold for.  The little bits and pieces like Lanyards are sweeteners for the housing package.  The WWL is more universally usable and should get a better return.

Wetlenses often seem to sell for a decent amount, maybe even 80% of new. Strobes also hold their value relatively well. Might be smarter to just sell those and one strobe. Keep the housing with standard Port and live with the built in zoomrange. This would make the setup considerably lighter without loosing so much money on the trade. The housing difference between a TG6 and RX100 is not so much anyway. 

Hi Tim, I'm sort of in the same boat (pun intended!) in that I bought a whole UW kit for my Sony RX100 VII last year when I thought I was going to do a weeklong UW photography class with a dive master I know on Saba Island.  Class postponed due to COVID and last month I tried some of the stuff on one dive on a trip to Hawaii, my first diving since 2019.  I was surprised by how difficult UW photography is, given my ear clearing and buoyancy problems that prevent me from getting stationary for a shot.  So I'm about to list a simpler and less expensive RX100VII kit than yours.  

I first contacted Backscatter, who sold me most of the stuff last year.  Here's some advice excerpted from an email response from Tom at Backscatter:

I would highly suggest putting it up for sale on wetpixel.com (https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/forum/6-classifieds/) classified section for a direct sale. There are a lot of people here specifically looking for used underwater camera gear, and a system as lightly used as yours should be a very attractive deal. You can also try scubaboard.com or eBay. Many of our customers have had success on all three of those websites.  I would try to sell it all together, since a lot of that gear will be exactly what a customer might want. You could also list everything individually, and then show the whole kit at a slight discount to help sell it as a whole kit as well. 

Best of luck.  Linda

Sounds like good advice to me!  If you can sell it as a package that is, obviously, the best and easiest way even if you have to discount your price a little bit.

Once you get down to selling things individually its becomes harder both price wise and logistically. So there becomes  a balance to strike between off-loading everything and maybe not getting as much as you'd like - and splitting it, having a longer selling process and, quite likely, being left with bits and bobs

Fingers crossed there is someone out there wanting exactly what you have to sell!

Good luck with it, Linda. Really sorry though to hear that you had ear/buoyancy problems. Yeah, u/w photography is not easy and, as you may have seen comments in other posts, folks can try and get into it a bit too early sometimes in their dive life. You have to be very comfortable in the water and have buoyancy under control before doing serious underwater imagery. I hope you can get back into it all.

Sponsors

Advertisements