Sign in to follow this  
Emarcomd

Why do I never see a focus light on a locline?

Greetings-

I'm going with a new system... Isotta w/ a Canon EOS R6.  Don't think that matters, but just in case.

One thing I've always wondered is why I never see any focus lights on something like a Locline.  Is that because it's a moot point?

I've always had a problem positioning my focus light (a FixNeo 1000 DX) -- now, I should let you know that I'm using a Subal housing from 2008.

There's not a lot of positioning options, and it's a HUGE pain in the ass when shooting stuff like blackwater. I'm thinking of investing in a Kraken 4000 WRGBU so I can do more video.   And I'd *really* like to have easier positioning for that.

And how heavy a light could they support?

Edited by Emarcomd

I use an INON torch with a 60° beam on a tall YS mount on my housing cold shoe and find it works fine.  It's inline with the lens so I only need to move it up and down as subject distance changes, the beam is wide enough that I rarely need to adjust for macro subjects close in.  It is a 700 lumen light so not super bright but more than adequate to allow the camera to focus.  You don't need or want a bright focus light.  It's dim enough not to show in the exposure and less likely than a super bright light to scare fish away.

I can see mounting a video light or small strobe on locline as you want to vary the lighting angles but that stuff gets tight with use and difficult to adjust  and is easily knocked out of alignment.  A focus light you are generally not too concerned about backscatter and aiming of a cold shoe mounted light is a lot easier.

http://www.divervision.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=loc-line

There are quite a few locline mounts...some light manufacturers also make their own :)

I would agree with Chris though...for a video light, maybe, focus rarely needs to be adjusted that much, especially since its so wide and low power (though i guess your 4000 model is a bit on the powerful side). I am usually keeping mine on a ball mount with either shorter Ultralight clamp between or longer Nauticam one if i need a bit more reach. Sometimes with a 6" arm between if i want to go anglerfish style :D I do keep it rather to the side though - instead of using the hot shoe mount, i am placing mine usually on the top right mount (Nauticam housing)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements