I am pretty new to underwater photography / housings. Apologies if this is a dumb or obvious question, but I figured this would be the quickest way to get some (good) info.

I have a few concept shoots in mind using a housing (not necessarily underwater, more so over/under split photos on the surface) and was wondering if there are any housing/strobe combo's that allow for off camera strobe usage? And if so, what are some recommendations for pro quality equipment that is capable of this?

Thanks in advance!

Off-camera strobes are very common in UW shooting, especially in cave and wreck photography.  Some strobes have built in slave sensors, while others require an add-on sensor. This is preferred as the slave strobe doesn't need to be "looking" at the camera. Many folks are using video lights over strobes for these kinds of shots since it's simpler to preview the shot.

As for gear recommendations, I am most familiar with the Ikelite offerings and they have a remote sensor for slave activation.

If you're looking to trigger land strobes remotely, you can use a Pocket Wizard to do that. Aquatica makes a housing for it as well.

https://aquatica.ca/technical-lighting-control/water-wizard/

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Sponsors

Advertisements