I have had YS D2, with and without J) sincere they came out.  I driver greater than 100 diverse per year.  Is it unrealistic to think I shouldn't have to replace them each year?  I've gone through 3 this year, none by water intrusion.    

Are the YS D3s any better?  Or is it time to switch brands?  To what?  I have Nikon Z7.

Thank you for helping?

I think it's totally realistic to expect strobes to last a long time.  I have been using my INON Z-240 for 6 years now and still going strong - touch wood.    The S&S strobes do have a bit of a reputation for less than perfect reliability and it's too soon to say if the YS-D3 is better as they are quite new on the market.  Having said that a great many people get good service out of the YS-D2's - it's a bit of a roll of the dice.  Do you habitually use rapid fire full power dumps on your strobe?? - apparently none of the strobes like that too much and the instructions specifically mention that.

As to what to get the INON Z-330 seem to have a good reputation as do the Retras.  The Retras a bit pricier but have a reputation for excellent lighting quality.   Both INON and Retra have features to help deal with the heat generated by the electronics and would be worth looking at.

I agree with Chris. Yes, you should get a lot more than a year's worth of diving out of a strobe. Like Chris, I had Inons (Z220 and Z240) which lasted for many years and very many dives. 

I switched to Retras about 18 months ago so can't comment on the Z330s but as Chris says, they do have a good reputation.

I can heartily recommend the Retras. They are built like pieces of art (almost Apple-like) and the light quality is, indeed, terrific. They are not cheap for sure but on build-quality alone, I'd expect them to last a long time. Customer service is very responsive too.

As Chris and I have commented too so often in many posts, strobes are worth the "investment". They (should!) last a long time and, if chosen well, will grow with your system.

My Inon Z330 have 350 dives in the past 3 years and they are just fine. I have seen one of my friends to flood one, but was a mistake as was some hair trapped in the o-ring.

Sponsors

Advertisements