Brendon

Canon R5 & Nauticam

Hi all. I have just upgraded to a Canon R5 & Nauticam rig and this is my first play with a mirrorless system. In general I am loving it so far but discovered an annoying ‘feature’ I can’t seemed to find a work around. My preference is to shoot with the viewfinder (11 years using a DSLR underwater) and then review on the LCD after the shot but on this rig you have to choose to view all on viewfinder OR LCD - I can’t seem to find a way to do it automatically (like out of the housing). I know I review on the VF but I prefer to look away from the camera to keep an eye on my surroundings. I would like to know if anyone else has come across this and found a solution? Cheers 

Hi Brendon, I use the R5 in an Aquatica housing and prefer to use an external monitor – but I do have a solution for you: In the 'custom buttons' menu (orange #3) you can set the m-fn button to switch between VF/viewscreen. You might be able to set other buttons to do the same, but I haven't looked. 

Thanks for that. The Nauticam housing has a switch built in to swap between EVF & LCD but I am ideally looking for an automatic solution….. probably asking too much :-)

27 minutes ago, Brendon said:

Thanks for that. The Nauticam housing has a switch built in to swap between EVF & LCD but I am ideally looking for an automatic solution….. probably asking too much :-)

Automatic won't work as it probably uses eye detection at the viewfinder and the housing makes the camera think you are looking through the EVF.  My Olympus has a setting to disable auto EVF - it's not clear how Canon does it.  It has a setting to display on screen only so that should display on LCD when you press the review button - but it's not clear if it will also use the LCD for shooting.

Sponsors

Advertisements