Sign in to follow this  
newdiver

Sony A7IV not for divers?

I have been eagerly waiting on the announcement of Sony A7IV and quite like its features for both video and photo, I think it offers great features for both video and stills for enthusiasts and maybe semi-pros too. However my excitement got dashed quickly after watching a few videos and particularly this one where you can see the dial to switch between photo and video is under the main mode dial, does this mean you can't really use it underwater unless someone comes up with some really tricky dial to switch it? Or am I missing something here?

https://youtu.be/Hn4eMwororg?t=255

1 hour ago, newdiver said:

I have been eagerly waiting on the announcement of Sony A7IV and quite like its features for both video and photo, I think it offers great features for both video and stills for enthusiasts and maybe semi-pros too. However my excitement got dashed quickly after watching a few videos and particularly this one where you can see the dial to switch between photo and video is under the main mode dial, does this mean you can't really use it underwater unless someone comes up with some really tricky dial to switch it? Or am I missing something here?

I think you'll have to wait and see, Nauticam might come up with something?  Or it might be too hard, it looks like you need to grab a smooth dial with no protrusions.But if that knob up in front is what you use to turn it it looks like it requires you to press in on a button while turning which is an extra degree of difficulty.  I think you just need to wait and see.

10 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

I think you'll have to wait and see, Nauticam might come up with something?  Or it might be too hard, it looks like you need to grab a smooth dial with no protrusions.But if that knob up in front is what you use to turn it it looks like it requires you to press in on a button while turning which is an extra degree of difficulty.  I think you just need to wait and see.

I was hoping that because it will have similar body to A7S III that it will be easy to fit it into an existing housing. It seems that is the case except for the dials. You are right, wait and see is the only option, however by the time a housing is ready Sony might announce a7c II by then :)

The dial has a button in front you have to push in order to move it. Same as the A1 and the Nauticam housing works just fine. There is a small lever that you have to engage with that button before you close the housing.

image.png.691c28ce2b652751f954a00e8fe8a2d0.png

• Like 1

Yes, that looks much more promising. 

Not sure if any of you have watched the videos, I think one of the best features is probably focus mapping specially for macros, it would make life so much easier.

2 hours ago, hyp said:

Can you explain focus mapping?

Focus Map is like a more advanced version of Focus Peaking as it overlays the image with colour according to the focus. The point of focus is clear while the area in front of the point of focus is red and the area behind is blue. The size of the clear zone varies depending upon the selected aperture, helping the photographer to visualise the depth of field.

Check this link for a visual representation of it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, newdiver said:

The Sony A1 has a dual dial on the left top side of the camera which controls the frame rate (single, 10 frames, etc) with the top dial and the AF setting (AF-S, AF-C, etc) on the bottom dial. The top dial has a push button that needs to be depressed while the bottom dial has the push from the side lock like the new A7 IV. In the Nauticam NA-A1 housing the spring loaded lever that lifts above the camera when it is installed in the housing and then drops into place over both camera  dials. This control lever simply keeps both push buttons depressed and controls the focus mode while a second dial on the top back half of the housing controls the drive mode. I would expect a simpler single control like the focus lever control for the A7 IV to switch between shooting modes. Photos of the control lever below.

When the Sony A7 III was introduced almost four years ago it became the best selling full frame camera ever made (both DSLR and mirrorless) and propelled Sony to the top of the mirrorless camera market. It was also became very popular as an underwater system and remained one of the top U/W systems. The A7 IV will be one of the best choices in the underwater market for a verity of reasons including overall camera speed, image quality V. rivals and much more.

It is sad that at least in the US the A7 IV is only being sold as a kit with the old Sony FE 28-70mm lens and not the excellent 28-60mm sold as a kit with the Sony A7C. The 28-70 only works with the Nauticam WACP while the 28-60 will work with both WACP and WWL-1B both at considerably different price points. 

This is a camera that many will be eager to review, myself included.

untitled-1477932.jpg

untitled-3071.jpg

untitled-3073.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

The Sony A1 has a dual dial on the left top side of the camera which controls the frame rate (single, 10 frames, etc) with the top dial and the AF setting (AF-S, AF-C, etc) on the bottom dial. The top dial has a push button that needs to be depressed while the bottom dial has the push from the side lock like the new A7 IV. In the Nauticam NA-A1 housing the spring loaded lever that lifts above the camera when it is installed in the housing and then drops into place over both camera  dials. This control lever simply keeps both push buttons depressed and controls the focus mode while a second dial on the top back half of the housing controls the drive mode. I would expect a simpler single control like the focus lever control for the A7 IV to switch between shooting modes. Photos of the control lever below.

When the Sony A7 III was introduced almost four years ago it became the best selling full frame camera ever made (both DSLR and mirrorless) and propelled Sony to the top of the mirrorless camera market. It was also became very popular as an underwater system and remained one of the top U/W systems. The A7 IV will be one of the best choices in the underwater market for a verity of reasons including overall camera speed, image quality V. rivals and much more.

It is sad that at least in the US the A7 IV is only being sold as a kit with the old Sony FE 28-70mm lens and not the excellent 28-60mm sold as a kit with the Sony A7C. The 28-70 only works with the Nauticam WACP while the 28-60 will work with both WACP and WWL-1B both at considerably different price points. 

This is a camera that many will be eager to review, myself included.

Thanks for the info Phil, I see that this has already been implemented and will hopefully be an easy modification to manufacture the housing for A7IV.

I am very excited about the A7IV and it is a very worthy successor to A7III,  one that would satisfy the needs of most photo and video shooters.

I don't understand either why Sony keeps bundling the old 28-70 as kit with their new cameras other than the A7C, I think most people prefer the tiny 28-60 over the 28-70.

Another thought is that, if Sony is anything like Canon, you should be able to map a custom button to do what you want... Just a thought.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements