bubblesmd

Recommended setup for Bimini Great Hammerheads

Going to Bimini in January to see the Great Hammerheads.  

What's a good beginner setup to take video/photo.  I currently have access to:

- RX100Va, Sony Underwater housing, and Fantasea UWL-400Q wide angle lens.

- GoPro Hero 9 with dive housing.

- iPhone 12 Pro Max. Would need to buy dive housing (SportDiver Sea Life?)

I believe the depth is only 20 ft so not sure if I need any additional lighting. Do I need filters at this depth?

I'm a total beginner so simplicity is best, but would like to get some great video more so than photos.  

THANKS!

Edited by bubblesmd

If you can get the RX100 before hand to practice with it I would totally recommend that camera; it would be a great camera to document your activities above and below water.  If not I would say the GoPro would be the next best thing since they are so easy to operate.

• Like 1

If you are not using any additional lighting (strobes/video lights) than a red filter would work well.  Not sure what the port size is on the RX100 housing but keldan and magic filters are really good for underwater.  Just make sure you get the ones for the actual depths you want to dive.  They have darker versions for deeper depths.  I added a link to a video I shot there last year.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, bubblesmd said:

Going to Bimini in January to see the Great Hammerheads.  

What's a good beginner setup to take video/photo.  I currently have access to:

- RX100Va, Sony Underwater housing, and Fantasea UWL-400Q wide angle lens.

- GoPro Hero 9 with dive housing.

- iPhone 12 Pro Max. Would need to buy dive housing (SportDiver Sea Life?)

I believe the depth is only 20 ft so not sure if I need any additional lighting. Do I need filters at this depth?

I'm a total beginner so simplicity is best, but would like to get some great video more so than photos.  

THANKS!

I was there doing the same 2 years ago. If you are a total beginner, I recommend the GoPro. I later on got a RX100 VA which is a great camera but you will need practice with it. Depth is more than 20 ft, close to 40 ft I think and I used video lights with GoPro.

Sponsors

Advertisements