Sign in to follow this  
Kraken de Mabini

Sea&Sea YS-D3-2 vs Inon Z330-2 ?

Both the Sea&Sea YS-D3-mark 2 and the Inon Z330-v2 have been reviewed, each by itself, by Mike Bartick and Phil Rudin.  Both are excellent reviews and each strobe garnered excellent points, with no significant weaknesses; they weigh about the same, are about the same size, and emit about the same amount of flash.

To choose one, it would be useful to know: 
Has a side by side comparison, particularly an underwater comparison, been published ? 
If we set aside the ~$200 price difference, Which strobe is preferable and why?

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

I've not seen a comparison,  for me based on history I'd pick the INON.  One thing I see is S&S YS-D3 in the manual says the numbers on the dial correspond to guide numbers - 32- 22-16 etc.  which would seem to indicate full stops between each setting.  It is not clear from the manual if this is the case or if there are half clicks between each number?

Based on my own experience of Inons (Z220 and Z240) and stories I've read here about Sea&Sea strobes, my inclination would be to go with the Inons all else being relatively equal.

@Kraken de Mabini

Before picking up a couple of Retras I shot with 2 Z330's (moving from Z240's).

I highly recommend the strobe. It cycles faster than the Z240, slightly wider reach, more powerful (to the edges), and I've always liked the Inon ergonomics.

I do not have a YS-D3 but I did shoot with 2 this summer. On the power and recycling it was very close compared to the Z330, but I still believe the ergonomics on the Inons are better. 

Specifically, for macro they are likely very (very) similar, for wide-angle I found the Z330's to have slightly better reach.

Then add in that Sea & Sea struggled with quality & support for a few years I'm an Inon fan (although more so a Retra fan now). 

• Like 1

:
  Thank you,  OneYellowTang, for your thoughtful, clear, logical evaluation of these strobes.  In the past I have used Sea&Sea Ys D2's and Inon Z240's, and have preferred the Inon's.

Now Sea&Sea is probably being run by the descendants of the founders, and has just been bought by a big corporation.  The Sea&Sea YS-D3 -2 is $200 more than the Z330-2, for starters.  The published evaluations of the Z330, including yours, are  quite positive. I have not seen one for the S&S.  

Based on the above, I will probably buy the Z330's from Fun-In Photo in Taiwan (best price, no sales tax), once over-seas travel is again possible. 

You may want to read the Reefphoto.com strobe comparison which includes the new Inon Z330 type II and the new S&S YS-D3-2 as well as several other strobes. Reef sells all the strobes tested, but it does not appear that they have favored any strobes based on margins. 

Reefs findings includes a strobe coverage image comparisons. 

Interesting findings including coverage and guide numbers.

• Like 1

Phil Rudin may be referring to this article by Reef Photo:

https://reefphoto.com/blogs/trending/how-good-are-the-current-strobes-for-light-intensity-and-coverage

and this one, a bit older but still worthwhile:

https://reefphoto.com/blogs/trending/why-it-might-be-time-to-upgrade-your-underwater-strobes

Time to get a sandwich and a cup of coffee, plus a pen and notebook to better read and appreciate these articles.
Thank you, Phil! And congratulations to Reef Photo for doing this useful and much appreciated hard work!

• Like 1

Backscatter did a thorough and excellent review of available strobes in 2020, here it is: 

https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/post/Best-Underwater-Strobe-Flash

Now one may add the newly available Scubalamp Supe D strobes and related lamps. 

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements