chipdiver

Sony Macro - Sony 90 or Canon 100?

I have recently purchased a Sony a7Riv and a Nauticam system.  I want to do some macro images as well.  The two options appear to be the native Sony 90 or the Canon 100 L with a Sigma or Metabones adapter.  

The Sony lens is an older, slower focus, but it is native.  

The Canon 100 L is a solid work horse, but must use an adapter.  (I know adapters themselves do not impact image quality.)

I am less concerned about price and more concerned about the best system with respect to lens sharpness, focus lock speed, and general usability. 

Any thoughts or suggestions from your experience?

Thanks in advance - chip

Edited by chipdiver
Clarification

There will be little to pick with quality between the two as the adapter does not use glass, it's just a spacer with electronics to allow communication with the lens.  The issue to be concerned about is autofocus - wide angle lenses usually AF well enough on adapters but macro AF is more challenging.  I know one user who reported the EF 100mm lens was quite sluggish when adapted to micro 43. 

I'm sure I remember a post or two discussing this topic for Sony but don't recall who posted about it.

The adapters have no effect on sharpness - there is no glass inside them, they just hold the lens at the appropriate distance and convert the control signals.

I have a Sony A6300, Sony 90mm and Canon EF-S 60mm with Metabones IV. Not quite the same, as A7IV has a couple generations' newer AF and it's a different lens, plus I haven't done much shooting with the 60mm yet, but so far, my impression is that the 90mm is slower but more reliable. The Canon 60mm traverses through its focal range much faster, but it has an annoying tendency to fail to focus completely, and then it starts hunting back and forth in weird discrete increments rather than the smooth motion I'm used to on native Sony lenses. It seems to be more sensitive to lighting conditions than the Sony lens - i.e. it starts hunting in conditions where the 90mm focuses fairly reliably, making it much more dependent on a focus light. Also, the only focus modes available are AF-S and AF-C - no AF-A or DMF, but this may be different with newer cameras.

I'm going on a blackwater trip in a few days, and I'm going to test the Sony 30mm, Canon 60mm and Sony 90mm against one another in challenging conditions.

@Barmaglot

Looking forward to hearing about the results of your blackwater tests...

My daughter shoots with an A7R4 and the 90mm (native) lens for blackwater. It was frustrating for her (to say the least). When it locks on it is fine, but the number of times it hunted was significant compared to my D500 + 60mm. 

This is one of the key scenarios that continues to prevent me from moving to a Sony mirrorless. I like blackwater shooting too much ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements