TmxDiver

Nauticam NA-36332 Sony a6400 Battery Pack Cable

Somehow, I have managed to lose the cable for my Nauticam NA-36332 battery pack for my Sony a-6400. I have torn apart my garage looking for it and even enlisted the help of my wife who can usually spot things a mile (1.6km) away and even she can't find it.

Normally, this would not be a problem. However, Nauticam has discontinued the product which means I cannot buy another battery + cable just to get the cable. I've searched Amazon but have been unable to find a suitable replacement with two right angles on the cable and a short distance cable to fit inside the housing.

I've included a picture below of the product. Any ideas?

402804272_ScreenShot2021-11-24at6_27_59PM.thumb.png.fba1d585043dfe4196af46af566c40c5.png

Thanks @Barmaglot!

I need to do a little more research as well. I seem to remember that my cable had a small little circuit board on the USB end that went into the battery and I wonder if it was because of the power problems mentioned in this thread on Wetpixel back in 2017:

If I remember correctly and there was a small circuit board, I'm wondering if it was used to keep the battery pack alive after it was connected to the camera and if a "standard" USB cable wouldn't work.

I'll send an email to Nauticam and see what I can learn.

Regards,

- brett

Reading the thread  it appears they have incorporated a dummy load with a small duty cycle into the lead perhaps.  I noted they said it stays on while plugged into the camera but not when unplugged.   Saying that you could test it out by seeing if it stays on if you plug into a fully charged phone or turns itself off - you could use any USB lead you have for the test.

This circuit will do the job but possibly a little large for you application:  https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/usb-battery-pack-keep-alive-load/

If you were handy with electronics you might be able to incorporate it into a right angle USB plug. 

4 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

As a quick follow-up, Nauticam put up a link to buy a replacement cable. Amazing customer service. 

https://www.nauticam.com/products/replacement-usb-cable-for-36332-battery-pack

Regards,

- brett

Good to see you've solved it.  I guess Nauticam stopped selling it as the vendor stopped making it, probably because every one wants the huge capacity banks these days.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, TmxDiver said:

As a quick follow-up, Nauticam put up a link to buy a replacement cable. Amazing customer service. 

https://www.nauticam.com/products/replacement-usb-cable-for-36332-battery-pack

Regards,

- brett

The link doesn't work already. I was hoping to but the cable and use an aftermarket battery.

3 hours ago, Lewis88 said:

The link doesn't work already. I was hoping to but the cable and use an aftermarket battery.

Yep. I got an email from them after I ordered it basically saying "it was out of stock" and that they were trying to get it. So, we'll see what happens. I think my lesson is that I shouldn't rely on third party kludge solutions....

- brett

20 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

Yep. I got an email from them after I ordered it basically saying "it was out of stock" and that they were trying to get it. So, we'll see what happens. I think my lesson is that I shouldn't rely on third party kludge solutions....

- brett

Do you want longer run time on a single dive or are you using the battery pack to allow you to do multiple dives without opening the housing?  If it's the second option you could look into installing a USB bulkhead on your housing.  Then you could open the cap and plug in to charge up between dives, you could likely get a 50% charge during a 1 hour surface interval. 

4 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

Do you want longer run time on a single dive or are you using the battery pack to allow you to do multiple dives without opening the housing?  If it's the second option you could look into installing a USB bulkhead on your housing.  Then you could open the cap and plug in to charge up between dives, you could likely get a 50% charge during a 1 hour surface interval. 

It is more about the latter. 

I sometimes use the Sony 10-18mm lens and that means I can't remove the camera without removing the front port/dome.

If the battery runs low or if I want to make sure I have enough power, that means removing the port/dome, removing the lens from the camera body, removing the camera from the housing, putting in a new battery and then reversing the whole thing. Doing all that on a boat moving around on the Pacific Ocean is not a really appealing idea.

The good news is that I randomly found the cable that I had randomly lost!

- brett

1 hour ago, TmxDiver said:

It is more about the latter. 

I sometimes use the Sony 10-18mm lens and that means I can't remove the camera without removing the front port/dome.

If the battery runs low or if I want to make sure I have enough power, that means removing the port/dome, removing the lens from the camera body, removing the camera from the housing, putting in a new battery and then reversing the whole thing. Doing all that on a boat moving around on the Pacific Ocean is not a really appealing idea.

The good news is that I randomly found the cable that I had randomly lost!

- brett

Well that's the ideal solution - maybe you need to attach a homing device to it!  If the battery ever plays up plugging a USB cable in to recharge in the surface interval might be a good alternative.  Dive and see make the bulkhead you would need but a steepish price.

9 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

Well that's the ideal solution - maybe you need to attach a homing device to it!  If the battery ever plays up plugging a USB cable in to recharge in the surface interval might be a good alternative.  Dive and see make the bulkhead you would need but a steepish price.

Good idea. But, as you say, it is pretty expensive. I would also have to make sure I have a "free" port on my Nauticam housing that fits that bulkhead.

I guess I could also open up the housing and plug in an external charger to the camera. That would at least alleviate the need to remove the dome/port/lens, etc. Still not ideal.

But, luckily, I now have my cable back. :)

- brett

Sponsors

Advertisements